Hello HA members. I wanted to swing by and say “thank you” for the additional data now being exposed, specifically the “Basic RSSI” for Zigbee devices. I’m not sure which recent version of HA added the exposed metrics - but it’s nice to have!!
Nice idea! Have you considered doing the same export for LQI (Link Quality Indicator) values as well?
Easy ways to show lists of RSSI and LQI values could make troubleshooting connection issues easier.
By the way, it should maybe be mentioned that high negative values of RSS show a noisy environment with much Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) / Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and in which case you should try to take action by adding electromagnetic shielding to computers/appliances and cables or simply optimize WiFi channels + to move away devices from sources that cause signal interference. See:
Dunno if this question belongs here but maybe you could have a look at it since you are involved in the zigbee network backup/restore aswell.
Apperently in the zha.toolkit running in HACS there is a good backup solution plus lots of other features for zigbee networks. However when your coordinator is connected to a TTY bus/port the backup does not work. iow it needs to be connected to a USB bus/port.
In my case with the a CC2531 coordinator running through tty I’m unable to backup and restore more over unable to switch from my current setup to a new sonoff coordinator while maintaining my device names and hence my zigbee based automations.
Is there something in the pipeline addressing this issue or is there a way to first changing from tty to usb? (For average linux user not entirely familiar with cli commands)
I did also try the method explained by Louis on youtube but that eventually failed or got stuck.
Understand if he maybe will say that you need to report it as an issue to home-assistant core instead. Perhaps the answer will be user-user and everyone needs to change from tty to USB bus/port but then it would be nice if the ZHA integration component config flow did not give you the option to use tty at all.
Certainly, a good metric to track when I get into some trouble! When I got started with Zigbee many many years ago - I ran into a situation where everything went offline and the batteries drained out in just a few hours. Come to find out that I had set my Wifi to Channel 1 not knowing that doing so was stomping on my Zigbee devices! Whoa! Lesson learned!!
I’ll certainly visit the Zigbee details. Always learning! Thanks!
I apologize for missing these follow-ups. Due to some changes in the domain naming, I need to update the Grafana dashboards for those entities. I am currently working on them and will publish them soon. I have faced some issues with my automations, so I had to troubleshoot all my devices to identify the problem. Once I complete everything, I will come back here and share the links as soon as possible.
I have seen, however - that RSSI for Z-wave no longer updates on my system… Not sure why that is…