Shutdown windows remotely

I’m having quite some problem to get this to work, I have installed the latest driver for my onboard ethernet port (intel 82579V) and followed the guides to enable WoL. I can in my hassio overview see when the PC is on or off but I cant turn it on or off, if I press it to turn on the slide go to on for 1 sec then back to off again. Have i missed anything?

Facing some difficulties with shutting down.
I keep getting the following error

[Info] Read alias: rolfcomputer
[Info] Shutdown rolfcomputer 192.168.1.27
Shutdown of remote machine failed
result was: WERR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
[Error] Shutdown fails

Steps i took:

• Registry key is created
  • Services are running
  • Firewall rules are correct (even with Firewall off it doesn’t work)
  • Correct credentials and IP are configured in the addon. (username is taken from the c:/users folder) Password has a special char in it, don’t know if that makes a difference?)
  • Restarted Windows machine and addon several times.

Running version 3.2.2 of the addon and Windows 10 on the computer.

What are you using to to make the shutdown call?

Do you have network discovery setup on your windows 10 computer? I seem to recall that I ran into an issue with that in the past.

1 Like

Right now i was trying it from the service menu in Home Assistant UI. With the payload following the example found in the documentation.

@silvrr Network discovery is turned on.

where do i have to write these configurations?
is it written in automations.yaml or configuration.yaml ?

i just want to shutdown my pc remotely .

@RolfKoenders Did you get it to work? I’ve got the same problem you have. also I took the same steps you did.

Dont really know how i got this to work but i followed this thread with the registry and everything.
Also made seperate account on windows just for this.

And also did this

Disable Simple File Sharing . UNCHECK “Use simple file sharing” under My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View.

Really dont know what that is but it worked :stuck_out_tongue: maybe just a coincidence

This is my switch and i can turn the computer on and off with it.

- platform: wake_on_lan
    mac_address: "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
    name: "Dator"
    host: 192.168.1.205
    turn_off:
      service: hassio.addon_stdin
      data:
        addon: core_rpc_shutdown
        input: Dator

Hi
Just to report my windows 10 firewall settings. After some experimentation, the only rule I need to allow is this one…
Remote Service Management (NP-In)

That along with the registry change is all I needed to do to allow remote shutdown.
Hope this helps
Thanks
Rob

1 Like

I finally got it to work after a couple of evenings!

Just in case someone has the same problem:
Open Regedit, and go to this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
You should add this key: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
But in my case there was an extra space behind the key, like this:
"LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy "

Fixing this fixed my problem.

2 Likes

hey, thanks for the solution.

I small question, where should I place the addon settings?, I referred to https://www.home-assistant.io/addons/rpc_shutdown/ but I can´t find where should I place that code…

sorry I´m a noob here…

You dont need to create a new file. After installing the add-on go to Hass.io in the left tab, after that you will find your aa installed addons under Add-ons. Open the RPC shut down addon and scroll to the bottom, there you will find the config section. In that place the code and click save. Restart the addon from the top.

Did you find a fix for the WERR CALL error? Im on the same step atm

Edit: Nvm, I found it. User account has to be Administrator

1 Like

Have a look at: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/shut-down-the-system

Can anyone help me please?

Running RPC Shutdown, but every time I try to execute it, I get this error:

Could not connect to server 192.168.1.88
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
[14:39:49] ERROR: Shutdown fails →

My Config is set up as follows:

computers:

• alias: Desktop
    address: 192.168.1.88
    credentials: user%password
    delay: 0
    Home Assistant is shutting down this PC. This cannot be canceled. Please
    save your work!

I worked out my issue, I had to enable “Remote Service Management (NP-In)” in Windows Firewall services. Once I turned on that rule, it started working. Just posting here in case anyone else finds this useful.

1 Like

Is topic still alive?
I have done everything as per the following guideline, but still can’t shut down PC remotely: Home Assistant Wake On Lan & Home Assistant RPC Shutdown (HOW-TO) - YouTube

What error message are you getting?

I get error message:

[14:39:15] INFO: Shutdown Super-PC -> 192.168.1.138
Shutdown of remote machine failed
result was: WERR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
[14:39:16] ERROR: Shutdown fails -> 

Would have been more “convenient” if you had shared your “Config/setup” files :wink: … im no fan of “watching” other “3rd part” peoples “solutions” on youtube, definitive not to “help/guide” others, with their specific problems

I think I found problem, when I try to enter DWORD “LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy” into registry and set it to 1 RPC_shutdown works SOMETIMES, but after restart that key disappears from the registry either by antivirus or by windows installed safety feature not sure.

Conclusion:
So it sometimes works sometimes not. I think it depends on windows updates and antivirus protection installed.