Solution for ZigBee controlled water valves needed

Hello all,

I recently started with my home assistant and already got some things working… Some purchased sensors, switches and homemade sensors via ESPHome… I mainly rely on Zigbee via the Conbee dongle and deConz plug-in.

Most of it is automated via Node-Red and is able to communicates with me via Telegram. With that, quite a bit has been accomplished.

The next step would be to automate the sprinkler system in my backyard.

The basic requirement is that I have a valve (1’’) that I can control via home assistant (ideally via zigbee and the existing conbee) .

Power supply of 220V AC is available.

Hence my question: Can you recommend any device for this purpose?

So far I came up with the following scenarios:

Valve:

Hunter PGV-100G 1" PGV & PGV JAR-TOP | Hunter Industries

Technical specs: SOLENOID SPECIFICATIONS • 24 VAC solenoid - 350 mA inrush, 190 mA holding, 60 Hz - 370 mA inrush, 210 mA holding, 50 Hz

PowerSupply:

NIN FULL 12V Power Supply DC12V Unit 1A 2A 3A 5A 6A Transformer AC 110V 220V 220 V to DC 12 Volts 12 V LED Driver for LED Strip

Relay:

DC 5V 12V 24V 1 2 4 6 8 Kanal Relais Modul Board Schild mit Optokoppler/high und Low-Level-Trigger für arduino Raspberry Pi DC 5V 12V 24V 1 2 4 6 8 Kanal Relais Modul Board Schild mit Optokoppler/high und Low Level Trigger für arduino Raspberry Pi|Relays| - AliExpress

Controller

WEMOS D1 Mini => There is a transformer of 12V to 5V needed….

Is there maybe something more straightforward resp less complex? Less parts is always better…

I prefer to buy already manufactured components over soldering by myself (even thought I am able to do it…) Out of experience, those components are more stable resp reliable…

Hence is there a “cheap” zigbee relay for 12V DCC with 6 channels?

Thanks in advance

I found a 120VAC Zigbee valve actuator on line, I think it was on AliExpress. I don’t have a link to it handy right now, sorry. It’s designed to move the handle of a ball valve. Mine is on a 3/4" pipe.

It works great, although it’s a new-ish valve. I’m not sure it could move and older valve which may require a lot of force to turn, like a seldom used main water shut off. Those things can tighten up over the years.

I have not installed it yet, but I have a working ball valve responding
to my Aqara humidity sensors.
I use a US Solid motorized steel ball valve, controlled by a
MHCozy Zigbee relay. It is a low cost solution but it works very well.
I can provide more details if anybody is interested

A photo or two would be great.

I will prepare and post a diagram

Valve Control 1
Here is the diagram. I use a Coinbee II Zigbee adapter. Other US Solid valve models will also work with slightly different controls

Nice!

The MSV00002 has a motor inside. Have you checked (or was there anything on the spec sheet) saying what the current (in Amp) would be at the beginning of energizing the ball valve, and at the end when the ball valve is fully closed?

And, do you setup the MHCOZY to cut off the power after, say, 15 seconds, so that neither the zigbee relay nor the valve being energized constantly, after finishing the closing (or opening) sequence?

I’m curious, obviously :slight_smile:

Good points. US Solid says that it limits the current once the valve is opened or closed, and I have seen a related video somewhere, but I have not personally verified any of that.
Cutting off power to the valve after actioning it is something I have considered but a couple of switch/relays would be required instead of what I use and I was concerned about accidentally applying voltage to both sides at the same time.
Anyway, US Solid has many different control options for their valves that allow different solutions, and I am happy to get more feedback before I actually implement this.

I just measured current used:
Motorized valve: 4.5 mA at rest, 30 mA when changing state
Zigbee relay: 22 mA at resting state, 68 mA when activate (i.e. when NC opened)

Hello, did you install this? Did it all work fine? Have you any advice to offer in retrospect? I’m redoing the plumbing and had already decided on installing a US Solid so this would be a great help.