First post. Greetings. I want to get into HA, so I installed it on my Synology NAS using Docker. I’m trying to orient myself. It discovered my Yahama receiver so I played around a little bit with it.
A couple of very generic questions …
- There seems to be some menu differences when you use Docker. There is no Hass.io store that I see in YouTube videos. Is Docker more limited or does it handle add-ons differently?
- Related to the above, if I wanted to use a YAML editor, how would one normally do that with Docker?
- Tried to make some automations using the “+ Add Automation” button in the configuration screen. So is that like a wizard, but most of you edit YAML files instead of using the wizard?
- Where would you point me to read for myself how to improve my understanding of how to get started?
A couple of media_player questions. These questions stem from me trying to use the “+ Add Automation” button in the Configuration screen:
- I have a Yamaha RX-V579 that was automatically detected. I also see it is separately listed as supported. I was experimenting and found that I could create an automation to “call service” and “homeassistant.turn_on” using a target of “RX-V579 D0139E”. Yay it works. I can also use TTS and yay it works.
- But I wanted to try to change the input source and I’m completely lost. The most promising tried to be to use the “call service” service called “media_player.select_source” which also allows me to target the receiver. But I’ve tried a few different “source” things including HDMI1 and AV4. Nothing seems to work. I’ve played with a few other services but nothing works. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong, and more importantly, how should I have gone about assessing the right approach myself?