Sonoff Basic with ws2812b led stripes

I got some sonoff basics and they work just fine with the Tasmota firmware.

I did a little reading and think they should be able to control my ws2812b led stripes which I got working with a node MCU and the stuff Bruh did on his youtube channel.

I have 1m with 60 leds which should work with the 5V 8A power adapter.

I connect the sonoff the power adapter which I hook up to the V+ and GND on the led stripes.
Earlier I soldered some male connectors to the sonoff and exposed GPIO 14 (green jumper) and GND(grey jumper) with some wires to the outside of the sonoff case.

The GPIO 14 connected to data on the ws2812 side.

On the sonoff webinterface you can choose to use the GPIO 14 with ws2812.

Now I get 2 toggles and a brightness bar on the webinterface.

It kind of works. The leds light up but it is random which one and how bright they are and which colour…

Is my wiring correct?
Do I need further changes to the tasmota firmware when using with ws2812?
Does somebody have more experience with this setup?
Maybe there is more reading material which I should cover but did not find by now.

Thanks for help!

Sounds like poor connections, get a lot of this on the Hyperion forums and that’s usually the problem.

Take a look at the Tasmota console commands regarding the WS2812s. A lot of the options aren’t exposed in the WebUI. I’m hoping I can setup MQTT messages to switch animations and such through HA, but haven’t gotten that far yet.

I was able to follow bruh and his effects with the NodeMCU. I think i will use the NodeMCU since the sonoff does not have a lot of space to store the effects.
At least I read this as a reason somewhere on the internet. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just got a few Node MCUs and I was going to set one of those controllers up, but I’m getting a lot of errors when I try to compile with arduino ide.