Sonoff NSPanel by ITead - Smart Scene Wall Switch based on ESP32 and custom Nextion Touch Screen Panel Display (non-Pro variant)

Sorry, one more question. My goal would be to have a screen per room. At the moment, I have one screen with space for 8 widgets. I swipe and get a thermostat (which I don’t want). How do I make it so I can swipe and get another group of 8 widgets?

I’m assuming it’s the .be file but I can’t work out what I need to add

I would also like to revert to the stock ui

Can’t you flash the backup you took before flashing tasmota/esphome? Or does that not contain the original tft file?

I’ve searched and searched but can’t find whether this is even possible. I want one screen’s worth of widgets for each room and to be able to swipe between the screens.

Has anyone done this?

Hi guys, or girls, and so on,

from what i understood so far, sum this up a bit:

the nspanel.be driver file is needed to talk with the nextion firmware which is installed on the nextion lcd
the firmware was decoded by blakkadar, thanks for that.
the widgets can be modiefied in the nspanel.be
atm it is only possbile to interakt with the screens available on the Display itself, with the given nspanel file and translate this back to MQTT comands which can be hence interpreted/repsonded to… by HA for example.

for having diffrent display pages it would be needed to flash the nextion panel with customer tft/hmi file which can be created with the nextion editor… The Nextion Editor Guide - Nextion

while searching and browsing the web i found this intresting project, also whit a nextion display in it.

so my question now is, would it be possible to reuse the allready achived from the HA Switchplate and port it to this NSpanel?

many thanks

1 Like

for anyone searching i found them on discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/538814618106331139/925351768852951050/ns-panel.tft

1 Like

Nice, thanks a lot! What discord channel is this?

Unofficial Nextion User forum Unofficial Nextion User Forum

Hi,

After reading this and the github thread throughoutly I started playing a bit with my NSPanel. I managed to get both Tasmota and ESPHome running on the device, but felt slightly limited by the default GUI. I have never worked with GUIs before but gave it a try after viewing the very helpful video on the topic by Masto.

I have so far managed to create a front screen with clock, date and temperatures (actual and feels like). My plan is to add a beautiful weather widget similar to the one in the default GUI to the screen. I have done a simple media player page that is working. All the buttons (previous, play-pause etc. and playlist buttons on the top) are exposed to Home Assistant as buttons. The artist and song info is pulled from a Ikea Sonos-speaker through HA (media_player). My thought with exposing buttons (instead of directly controlling something) is to allow a flexibility to chose what speakers to use (groups) by touching the cast logo (which is a button as well).

My idea is to create additional pages to have one for lights, one for equipment (AC, vacuum robot, lawn mower robot etc.), one for bootup (before the ESP has contact with HA), but also a screen to block the panel when the alarm is turned on. I included drafts of some of them.

Some of the screens are slightly poorly centered. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the screen is slightly larger than the visible area. I tried to estimate the “dead” space but my guess was slightly off. :slight_smile:

If there is an interest for any of the code I am happy to share once I have taken it slightly further and polished it somewhat. :slight_smile: I am curious if anybody has done something similar or have ideas on how to take it further. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

That is fantastic, now I’m starting to think it’s time to get a couple of these for my house. Great work.

That’s great, I think that’s the most customization anyone’s posted so far. It feels like the information is getting more spread out – forum topics are great but get harder to search over time – so I added a public Wiki to my demo files repository in case anyone wants to dump knowledge or sample code there. (Also feel free to open PRs with more files)

If there’s a better central place for this, I can replace the above with a pointer to it.

5 Likes

That looks awesome! Yes, please share the HMI file. It’s a very nice starting point :slight_smile:

My custom design for the EU NSPanel is starting to come together nicely :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I use the buttons to control my lights and blinds and the info bar at the bottom shows me relevant information, e.g. whether it will rain soon or when music is playing, it shows the artist and song title.

I have been banging my head on an issue with the auto-sleep functionality of the screen. I tried setting it via ESPHome YAML as well as via Nextion Editor (by setting thsp and thup in Program.s), but the screen stays on no matter what. Has someone managed to get auto-sleep working?

ESPHome related YAML:

display:
  - platform: nextion
    id: disp1
    uart_id: tf_uart
    tft_url: http://x.x.x.x:8123/local/nspanel/NSPanel.tft
    touch_sleep_timeout: 20
    auto_wake_on_touch: true

also tried:

display:
    on_setup:
      then:
        - lambda: |-
            id(disp1).set_auto_wake_on_touch(true);
            id(disp1).set_touch_sleep_timeout(20);

And via Program.s in the Nextion Editor:

//The following code is only run once when power on, and is generally used for global variable definition and power on initialization data
int sys0=0,sys1=0,sys2=0     //At present, the definition of global variable only supports 4-byte signed integer (int), and other types of global quantity declaration are not supported. If you want to use string type, you can use variable control in the page to implement
thsp=20
thup=1
page 0                       //Power on start page 0

When I run the debugger in Nextion Editor with the lines above, the emulator goes to sleep after 20sec as expected. However, when I upload the tft to the screen, it just stays on.

4 Likes

Is it possible to share your complete code for the EU panel?

Sure:

# Set some variables for convenience
substitutions:
  node_name: nspanel-livingroom
  device_name: NSPanel Woonkamer

# Note: this may not be needed if the pull request has been merged.
# Check https://github.com/esphome/esphome/pull/2956 for current status.
external_components:
  - source: github://pr#2956
    components: [nextion]
    refresh: 1h

esphome:
  name: $node_name
  comment: $device_name

esp32:
  board: esp32dev

ota:
  password: "xxx"

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  fast_connect: true

time:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: homeassistant_time

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  services:
    # Service to play a song
    - service: play_rtttl
      variables:
        song_str: string
      then:
        - rtttl.play:
            rtttl: !lambda 'return song_str;'
    - service: upload_tft
      then:
        - lambda: 'id(disp1)->upload_tft();'

# A reboot button is always useful
button:
  - platform: restart
    name: Restart $device_name

# Define some inputs
binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    name: $device_name Left Button
    pin:
      number: 14
      inverted: true
    on_click:
      - switch.toggle: relay_1

name: $device_name Right Button
    pin:
      number: 27
    on_click:
      - switch.toggle: relay_2

sensor:
  - platform: wifi_signal
    name: $device_name WiFi Signal
    update_interval: 60s

- platform: ntc
    id: temperature
    sensor: resistance_sensor
    calibration:
      b_constant: 3950
      reference_temperature: 25°C
      reference_resistance: 10kOhm
    name: $device_name Temperature

- platform: resistance
    id: resistance_sensor
    sensor: ntc_source
    configuration: DOWNSTREAM
    resistor: 11.2kOhm

- platform: adc
    id: ntc_source
    pin: 38
    update_interval: 10s
    attenuation: 11db

# Define some outputs
switch:
  # The two relays
    name: $device_name Relay 1
    id: relay_1
    pin:
      number: 22
    name: $device_name Relay 2
    id: relay_2
    pin:
      number: 19

# Pin 4 always needs to be on to power up the display
    id: screen_power
    entity_category: config
    pin:
      number: 4
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_ON

# Configure the internal bleeper
output:
  - platform: ledc
    id: buzzer_out
    pin:
      number: 21

number:
  platform: template
  name: $device_name Brightness
  id: brightness
  entity_category: config
  unit_of_measurement: '%'
  min_value: 0
  max_value: 100
  step: 1
  initial_value: 30
  optimistic: true
  set_action:
    then:
      - lambda: 'id(disp1).set_backlight_brightness(x/100);'

text_sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: sonos_media_title
    entity_id: sensor.sonos_livingroom_currently_playing
    on_value:
      # Push it to the display
      then:
        - lambda: 'id(disp1).set_component_text_printf("infobar", "%s", x.c_str());'

# Enable ringtone music support
rtttl:
  id: buzzer
  output: buzzer_out

# Configure UART for communicating with the screen
uart:
  id: tf_uart
  tx_pin: 16
  rx_pin: 17
  baud_rate: 115200

# Configure the screen itself
display:
    touch_sleep_timeout: 30
    auto_wake_on_touch: true
    on_setup:
      then:
        - lambda: |-
            id(disp1).set_backlight_brightness(.3);
            id(disp1).set_auto_wake_on_touch(true);
            id(disp1).set_touch_sleep_timeout(30);
4 Likes

I did it the hard way: setup a touch cap, that on release sets the screen brightness to 100% and enables a timer, that runs 20s and sets the brightness back to 30% and disables itself.

1 Like

Would you be so kind to share the code snippets? :slight_smile:

That’s my full esphome config: esphome-configs/nspanel_kitchen.yaml at 209ac4e24393b1ef93c85249feb816ac87e6e106 · klaernie/esphome-configs · GitHub
And the .hmi and .tft are under esphome-configs/nextion at main · klaernie/esphome-configs · GitHub
I think seeing the full example makes it easier to understand - I wish someone would build a esphome equivalent for the nextion displays themselves - declare everything in a yaml and compile it to a .tft…

2 Likes

Just noticed that the nspanel can also be used as an ESP32 Bluetooth Low Energy Tracker Hub.
Very interesting!

5 Likes

Thank you for showing the way on this! I noticed that dim=0 turns off the backlight, so I took it a little further on mine and shut it right off. I want to make sure that I don’t accidentally activate a button when waking it back up, and also help to avoid burnin, so I also cover the whole display with a flat black button when I turn it off, and that requires a little extra code to enable and disable it (using vis commands). Surprisingly, it all seems to work.

I will absolutely post all the files on GitHub, but it’s midnight and I have to call it a day. Real short version in the meantime… here’s my timer event:

// Turn screen off
dim=0
// Overlay the screen with a hotspot to wake it back up
vis wake_hotspot,1
// Timer done
sleep_display.en=0

Here’s my touch press event on the TouchCap:

// Turn screen back on
dim=5
// Hide wake-up overlay
vis wake_hotspot,0
// Reset sleep timer
sleep_display.en=1

And I have one post-initialize event on the page:

vis wake_hotspot,0

BTW, the comments and id refer to it as a hotspot, but I changed the implementation to a button on the theory that even if the backlight is off, the LED pixels are still set, so blacking them out is probably better.

1 Like