Sonoff RF bridge (tasmota) keeps disconnecting after day or so

I’m not sure what’s going on here, but after a day or so of successfully using MQTT (using mosquito on ha side) it just disconnects (says can’t connect on tasmota log) and i get client soccer error on HA side.

from HA: (192.168.50.62 is sonoff rf bridge)
1638867259: New connection from 192.168.50.62 on port 1883.
1638867259: New client connected from 192.168.50.62 as DVES_5AF452 (p2, c1, k30, u'Mqtt').
1638867320: Socket error on client DVES_5AF452, disconnecting.

it’s working fine now again after i pulled the plug and it restarted:

15:45:23.296 MQT: tele/tasmota_5AF452/RESULT = {"Time":"2021-12-07T15:45:23","RfReceived":{"Sync":13290,"Low":420,"High":1240,"Data":"E5242C","RfKey":"None"}}
15:45:29.272 MQT: tele/tasmota_5AF452/RESULT = {"Time":"2021-12-07T15:45:29","RfReceived":{"Sync":13300,"Low":420,"High":1250,"Data":"E5242C","RfKey":"None"}}

running latest tasmota.
Could it be wifi range? or sleep mode ?

I’ve been having issues as well with disconnecting

I just reboot it every 2 hours now or so, only takes 1sec. Seems to work stable like this.

Hi
Probably bit obvious, but I assume you have set setoption57 1 and
setoption56 1?

I have not. Not that obvious :slight_smile:

I tried sleep 0 but that doesn’t seem to make much difference. I’ll try your suggestions, hope it makes a difference.

UPDATE: Nope, no difference. Back to rebooting it every 10 minutes i guess. I tried ESPhome for a while but that seems really messy to setup the way i did it with tasmota. But i might give that another go. Would love to hear from those who have a Sonoff RF bridge running stable and with what tasmota version though. I might try with another RF bridge as well, i have a white one here, maybe i have dodgy hardware.

I’m running 9.3.1 with no problems. Even wired in a BMP280 Sensor so use the bigger bin file that allows sensors. Is it a wifi problem u have? Do u get a stable connection, what’s the RSSI just before it stops working ?

I’m running the latest 11.1.0. I might try your version and binary.

My RSSI is 95-100% like all the time. I just don’t understand why it keeps dropping, it’s so frustrating and i would really like to fix this, but i’m at the point where i’m just thinking of throwing out this component completely.

But then again i get the same with ESPhome on a fish feeder, also goes offline every now and then. Same for a tuya valve. You might think it’s my network it really can’t be that. I have a feeling it has to do with the 2.4ghz network, i will try to change the band/protocol or something.

I fix my channel on the router and set an IP address on the Sonoff. I have one device that goes into deep sleep with ESPhome. I forgot I had assigned an IP to it and another device got the same address and every so often it failed. Very frustrating as when I scanned my network it didn’t show up as it was mostly in deep sleep. The version I use for sensors can’t be flashed ota or updated ota due to it’s size. I know they have been making Tasmota minimal file smaller but I’m not sure it’s small enough yet.

1 Like

Yeah i’m going to mess with the wifi settings for the 2.4ghz band. It seems to happen mainly with these tuya or ESP based chips. Something is tripping them up and it could very well be that the wifi router i have is just to new for them and does to many whizz bang things.

I disabled wifi6 for now, see if that works. Will mess around with other settings after that, hopefully that will do the trick.

So after getting this on multiple ESP devices, changing all the settings, and still getting it, i decided to do something someone mentioned passing by about it being the AP. I mean i was at the point of rebooting every 10 minutes and it just feels wrong. Not wanting to believe it was my AP, and also not wanting to buy a new one, i connected it to a TP link wifi booster.

Lo and behold, apart from the TP link itself rebooting (because it’s a piece of crap) everything is actually stable. I’ve been struggling with this for at least a year, switched to ESPhome, but i had the same issues with random Tuya stuff (water valve, gas leak detector stuff like that). This is on a Asus RT-AX86U, not a low end router by any chance (although i feel the 2.4Ghz is definitely not getting the same love as the 5Ghz band).

Now, no disconnect so far at all and it has been about 2 days. I’ll post if it goes down again, but i’m having high hopes this time.

Just to confirm, it has been up for 15+ days now. Am so delighted with this. All my cheap tuya devices (gas sensor, water valve, etc) and esphome flashed devices also do not disconnect anymore.

So if you have these problems, connect them to a different AP (use a booster like i did for a quick 20,- fix) rather then exchange your spiffy router which works great for other stuff.