Sonos shutting down local voice option Snips

The Ada link doesn’t work for me.

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

If I do not want to upgrade my Snips integration (addon and training examples), will it continue to work with future version of HA (at least short/mid term)?
Or if you prefer, in case I upgrade HA in next weeks, will it break Snips?

I would definitely like to try Almond&Ada, but my voice assistant needs to be in french so the whole family can use it and it is not possible yet with Almond.
Maybe I will look into Rhasspy in the meantime, but it seems to be a bit more complex to integrate/train, so it might take a while before I get anything comparable to Snips.

Hi @frenck
my first message in this forum.

What’s Ada, you mentioned? Your link is broken ( “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.”)

thanks
giorgio

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=home+assistant+ada

Fixed Ada link in Frencks post. Ada

So there are alternatives to Snips but, what could be suitable alternatives to SONOS for an open, multi room sound system?

Logitech Media Server aka Squeezebox. Logitech stopped making the hardware some time ago, but it is still available second hand, and you can make your own very simply.

It is well integrated with HA.

I have a feeling the company Sonos itself will shut down / acquired by one of the big tech company… soon

Volumio is a great lossless audio system that has very light hardware requirements and is supported by HA.

How is synchronisation between players in volumio?

1 Like

I personally have not tried it but there is this plugin on my radar that is still in active development that claims synchronization.

I run a single volumio system and audio is very good.

So is squeezebox and it can sychronise many players together.

Nothing worse than the player in the next room being ahead or behind.

The question was about a multi room sound system.

Wouldn’t Mozilla’s DeepSpeech be a good bet as well?

What a sad story! I was really keen on using Snips for my home automation. Good that I didn’t spend any effort in Snips yet!

I was also hoping that SONOS will open their APIs (for mic) so that Snips could use that. The strategy of SONOS was anyway strange to me and now it’s more or less clear: It was just a good way / politics to destroy a potential competitor to Amazon Alexa or Google home! :-/

Really sad what huge market leaders can do just with a lot of money!

I will sell my existing SONOS devices (I bought them for trial) in order to get rid of this manufacturer! I hope, many people will follow and do NOT SUPPORT this kind of politics!

For long-term these companies are just looking for a way where they can constantly monitor our private live (mic in your living room with internet connection).

I hope there will be good and powerful alternatives like Snips in the near future so that this kind of politics will be boycotted!

@Rand Hindi, please come back with your second life!

1 Like

Maybe Bose is not yet bought by the big players (Amazon/Google) and could develop an independent and open hardware for such offline voice assistant toolkit. It could be the perfect alternative to SONOS. We should give them a hint!

I use Snapcast ( https://github.com/badaix/snapcast/ ) with it’s Spotify Connect plugin and Mopify for radio. Works great for me atleast.

For hardware I use whatever I have available in the room, eg. a HTPC with a Receiver in the livingroom, and RaspberryPi’s with HiFiBerry on some other rooms.

1 Like

And how does synchronisation go with that?

With Snapcast? Works like a charm, all my audio-devices are in perfect sync according to my ears at least.

1 Like

Thank you, I suppose I could have clicked on your link and seen for myself :slight_smile:

Managed to install snapcast on my volumio. And setup an old tablet, laptop, and Android tv box as snapcast clients. Synchronization is impressive :astonished:. Every time i read a new thread on this forum i find another rabit hole to venture down. Starting to crave lettuce and carrots.