SSH Server vs. SSH Secure Shell

So, today I did something wrong while installing InfluxDB. So I decided to re start from scratch. While re-install ing the Add-Ons’, I noticed that there are now two SSH Add-Ons. One called SSH Server(which I have been using from the start), and SSH Secure Shell.
Which one is better???

I’m running Hassio on a RPi3.

1 Like

Both do the same thing… One is built in and the other one is a community addon by Frenck. The community one probably has other options - never looked at that one as the built-in one was all I needed and works perfectly.

Edit: I just installed Frenck’s one and am giving that a go. Probably no different in the basics but maybe more secure…

How is it more secure?

You should check the docs for the addin

You know, I would have made the same comment if you’d asked, so Touche.

@DavidFW1960 I just installed Frenck’s one and am giving that a go.

So, how did your install go, was it easy???

Yes it was easy. I just transferred the private key to the new addin and I also changed the user from root in Putty and WinSCP to hassio and it worked just fine.

@DavidFW1960 could you point me at where I might locate some support info on the best way of creating a private key for this instance and for the best way of referencing it in the SSH server plug-in configuration.

Related to this; is it possible to use the !secret reference to point this configuration to a key located in the hass.io /ssl folder?

I use the Putty utility PuTTYgen to generate the keys.
Then save private key.
The highlighted part goes in " " in the key section or the addon.
Yes you can use secrets to store it.

1 Like

My goodness @DavidFW1960 - thank you so much for the prompt response. I’ll give that a try.

1 Like

And where is the documentation for that? :wink:, I installed the add-n, but not possible to login, or to get any response over port 22 whatsoever. Yes, I started the add-n.

Don’t just hijack a different thread and add in stuff like this.
You have not really given any useful information.
Is the addon running?
Is there anything in the log for the addon?
How did you configure the addon?
How did you install Home Assistant?

1 Like