Starting over- New installation

Starting over- could really use some assistance.
My Home Assistant (hassO on a Raspberry Pi3B) finally crashed after more than two years. Unfortunately none of my MicroSD clones would boot, so after a day of getting nowhere with my backups, I decided to start all over.

I do have a very recent backup of the .config folder which has all of my .yaml files

What about all the snapshots I have been making? Is it possible to get back to my last working configurations?

If you have been taking snapshots then did you store/download them somewhere off the SD card to say a USN stick or other storage area?
If so, then all you need to do is follow the standard build instructions and then do a wipe and restore with this snapshot.
You will need to set up the SAMBA integration first to copy the snapshot from your off card source back into the backup directory.

If you have not saved the snapshots “off card” then I am afraid unless you can recover them from the SD card then it’s start from scratch :neutral_face:

1 Like

That’s why testing your backups from time to time is part of any serious backup strategy in my opinion.

That’s what’s puzzling. I had four Micro SD cards. Every few months I would clone 1 to 2, then use 2. Later, I would clone 2 to 3 and use 3, etc. There’s no reason a fallback wouldn’t work.
My first thought was that the Pi itself had fried, so a swapped it for another, and the same results.
I further verified the Pi was OK by booting from a RasPi Stretch MicroSSD.

I have all of my .config files and folders so my yaml files and hopefully my Node-Red flows are safe.

I am only now realizing that what I really should have backed up is the /backup folder with all of my snapshots.

So, I am spending the week rebuilding everything.

Starting over is my only option since I did not copy my /backup folder. I did once about a year ago, but restoring to that backup didn’t change anything.

I have been using Home Assistant for three years, but I can’t recall anyone telling me that I should be saving the snapshots. Just the Yaml files.

So, do I just copy all of my saved YAML files then start fixing what doesn’t work, or should I do it one device at a time?

By the way, what happened to the “Restart Home Assistant” on the Admin tab?
In fact, what happened to the “Admin” tab?

My old HA_VERSION is 0.83.1, the new system is 0.105.2
I guess I shouldn’t be afraid of upgrades from now.

So, how do I restart HA without rebooting the Raspberry?

========================

Never mind- found it in the “services” tab.
Call service: homeassistant.restart

But, I miss the button.

You can find the button under Configuration -> Server Controls at the bottom of the page.

Okay, this seems really strange. If you cloned the whole SD I see no reason why it shouldn’t work :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Found the Restart button. Thank you.
“It was on display at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.”

If I had kept up with updates (and backups) I wouldn’t be facing newbie shock leaping from Version 0.83.1 to 0.105.2.

I am equally baffled. I can’t even mount them on my Pi4 that I used to make the clones.
I definitely need to rethink my backup process.

Phuu from 0.83.1 to 0.105.2 is quite a huge leap, I think I would have started from scratch anyway with all these changes along the way.

I am finding some that I like, and others, like the Restart HA button a bit of a shock. It has, so far, been like bringing a Windows 3 user into Windows 10. (I’ve done that- hello Grandma).

I do like that the Z-Wave entity name control is not the ordeal that it was two years ago. I enabled Z-Wave in my config.yaml file and on reboot (I hadn’t found the restart button yet) HA found every one of my Z-Wave devices. Whoopee. But it only made a card on the Home page for one of them?? Good time to try the newly discovered Restart HA button. No difference. I went to lunch and when I came back- all of my switches were there in a card. This is where I discovered the entity name control- a big plus. The problem I had, minor for most, was turning them on one at a time then walking around the house to see what turned on; then renaming them on the card. (Difficult because I am recovering from back surgery and am supposed to avoid stairs. Maybe I should just wait for my wife to get home and I can ask her what just turned on.)

I opened configuration.yaml and, where are my switches? In fact, where are any of my default config stuff?

When devices are automatically discovered or when you configure an integration through the UI, there will be nothing added to your configuration.yaml. Most integrations still support manual configuration and lots of integrations only support manual configuration. In general way more things can be configured through the UI.

Backups …My strategy if you are interested.

My current backup strategy is to run snapshot as an automation every night at midnight. I am running HA on an Intel NUC i3 with docker so I get the system (Ubuntu) to do a backup of nominated directories to my Synology NAS. One of these is the HA backup directory.

The NAS is then backed up to an Ext HDD @ 06:00 hrs each morning

This gives me at least 3 copies of each snapshot and they are in different places.
Another alternative if you don’t have a NAS is Google Drive.

This strategy allows me to do away with SD imaging.

I have been playing wit RPi’s for some time now and they are great little devices but the NUC is so much better in response time and Z-Wave seems to work much better as well. The price is coming down. I moved my HA over from a RPi to the NUC in early January. I followed the Snapshot route to move from the Pi to the NUC.

Good luck with 105.2.
I am running it at present and it’s got a few issues that I have noticed. I am using the Lovelace UI and configuring it with the Configure UI. when editing it supposed to show you what it should look like but that does not always happen under 105.2. I have found that if it does not show you and there are no errors then a save does the trick but I have had one instance where it did not and I had to edit the raw config editor to blow away the changed I made to the card to get back.

Thanks for hanging with me through this ordeal- you are making it less stressful.

Perhaps it will click and all these questions will be historical newby ones.
I will keep asking questions in this thread to not clutter the main page, unless you think I would get more eyes on the problems.

I sort of have Life360 working. I can see my wife’s location (at work) on the Map page but not mine (at home).

Here is my config.yaml entry:

# Device trackers
device_tracker:
  - platform: life360
    username: !secret life360_login
    password: !secret life360_password
    interval_seconds: 10
    filename: life360.conf
    show_as_state: places, driving, moving

Here is my known_devices.yaml file:

life360_steve_mann:
  hide_if_away: false
  icon:
  mac:
  name: life360 steve mann
  picture: https://www.life360.com/img/user_images/93d380fa-890a-4f23-a42c-085b2dcafca2/967dd733-9a99-4b5e-879a-1023be214957.png?fd=2
  track: true

life360_kim:
  hide_if_away: false
  icon:
  mac:
  name: life360 kim
  picture: https://www.life360.com/img/user_images/fd05baaf-1796-475c-ae7e-ac8b40a057e4/aadf7a11-d5b2-44c8-ac3d-4d007e925288.jpg?fd=2
  track: true

This is a low priority. Tonight I would like to get my mqtt devices running again. I am hoping that just copying my sensors.yaml to the new config folder will work. (Why do I feel like Charlie Brown?)

Ron- I haven’t dipped into Lovelace yet. One catastrophe at a time. (Unless you think configuring lovelace cards is more efficient/logical than the traditional configuration.yaml?)

Unfortunately, I was saving the config folder every night- not the backup folder. That will change.

I will probably go to the Nuc eventually, but my goal this week is to get some of my devices and sensors working.

Offhand, do you know where my Node-Red flows are stored?

Steve,
I was hesitant to dip into Lovelace myself but I am glad I did. When you hit the button it does not really change anything. The best part is you can start moving stuff around. What I did was create a View called “Clutter”. This is where I started moving the cards from HOME once I had created the view I wanted. So I really still have the original cards that were auto generated. I will leave them there for a little while until I am satisfied that I don’t need them any more.

As regards Node Red… I have not gone there yet but according to the doco below it should be somewhere under the /local/ directory.

Hope that helps.

Can’t help you on Life360 as I’m using the official app for GPS tracking.

That depends, did you use the inbuilt MQTT broker or your own? The inbuilt MQTT broker has been deprecated some versions ago.

These are separate things. Lovelace is for the frontend and configuration.yaml for the backend. You’ll continue to setup your devices, entities, etc. in configuration.yaml (or in packages). I strongly advise you getting started with Lovelace as soon as possible, because the old States UI is deprecated and will be removed in version 107.0 I think.

No, I am using Mosquitto on a separate Pi.

This may sound silly, but how do I start getting into Lovelace? Where is it? Is it a different login port?

I will miss the states UI because that’s the low-level assurance that my sensors and other stuff is actually working.