Suddenly lost a lot of zwave entities

So I added a new zwave device (aeotec nano switch) and my zwave system went nuts. It was sending something dozens of times a minute when off. Then I noticed half my zwave devices were gone, not listed in HA at all. Weird. Reboot, heal, nothing. So a variety of switches and locks are missing.

I toggle a switch, same item, in two bedrooms, one shows, the other says unhandled command class. Several of the missing items report that error in the zwave logs.

Should I restore from a backup last week, or is there a file I can blow away to have HA rediscover the zwave devices? Since they made some changes this fall the files the forums say to rename don’t exist in current version of HA.

I don’t think the switch is a factor. I removed it and my missing devices aren’t showing back up.

1 Like

I suggest restoring your zwcfg file from a backup. I’ve had this happen occasionally (but not for a while now).

2 Likes

Look like my usb dongle bit the dust because I can’t get it to be recognized at all by HA or when I plug it into my iMac (which was how I ran HA before moving to a pi 3b+)

Is the HUSBZB-1 still the preferred dongle to go with for a replacement? It’s still for sale places even though discontinued. Or am I better off with an aeotec stick so I can do aeotec device firmware updates?

That did it, then it broke when I readded that nano switch. Even when off it spams the system something awful. I’ll have to isolate examples and do a separate post. Thanks for the restore help.

Oh man, I really appreciate your answer!

I just had that happen to me for the first time and I was already considering the implications of re-adding 20 devices, some of which are behind light switches. A VM Snapshot restore later and all is well in life :smiley:

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah this just saved my butt from alot of confusion and unnecessary effort… dug into a recent HassIO Snapshot and compared my zwcfg xml files and found alot of details were suddenly gone, disappeared, kaput! Why?

This is a first time occurrance for me but I’ve spent the last 2 days trying to figure out why some (but not all) Z-wave devices (esp. locks and some motion sensors) just disappeare! It looks like it’s all coming back online now after stopping the Z-Wave network, shutting Homeassistant down, copying my file back over via network, and restarting everything again!

Man that’s not inspiring much confidence in Z-Wave via Homeassistant . . .

Thanks!