Suggestions for Central Roller Shutter Control

Hi there,

I need some ideas on how to control my roller shutters. I prefer a centralized version over any Wifi, Zigbee,ZWave related as I am rewiring the whole house anyway. KNX for the whole house is out of question. I am willing to spend a few bucks as I don’t have that much time for a full DIY version right now. Everything should be located in the electrical cabinet. So everything that comes with a DIN rail naturally would be the best.

The plan is to have a pushbutton in every room connected to an isolating relais next to the motor. Secondary wire would then lead to the central in the technic room. In total its 14 roller shutters.

I was looking at the Kaiser Nienhaus Reg Control 338000.

• Rougly 650 €
  • 12x 230 V Outputs
  • 12x 12-24V Input
  • Additional board for 4 more motors (+220 €)

Now I “just” need an option to get 12-24V to that board. Stumpled accross this board here on the forum:

Main advantage DIN rail and I can add everything to the electrical cabinet.
Downside I need two of them and it gets kind of big in the cabinet.

Is there any board that someone is aware of that has more relays and is compact like something from the Wago IOT? Any other suggestions than the Kaiser Nienhaus?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hm, I wouldn’t throw KNX out of the window right away.
If you get a “mini-installation” just for your roller-shutters, you can get away with roughly the same price - at least in the ball-park. And you are open to expand if you like.

• Power supply Meanwell ~65€
  • IP Interface Weinzierl 732 or Enertex ~150 €
  • 8-fold shutter actuator 2x ABB-JRA/S8.230.1.1 2x255€ or MDT JAL-0810.02 for 2x240€

makes 695-725€ - which leaves 145-175€ compared to your example (Kaiser Nienhaus) but is doesn’t have any binary input yet. You could get something like a MDT BE-08000.02 for ~145 (8-fold so you would probably need 2) or maybe even native KNX switches - this depends on the rest of your installation.

Another option would be a combined binary-sensor-shutter-actuator like ABB JRA/S6.230.3.1, but that is 6-fold, so you’d need 3 which makes it a bit more expensive.

With 2 of the binary sensor devices, 2 actuators and the IP interface, you’d have 5 devices which should be configurable via the free demo version of ETS.

That said, you could see if your shutter-manufacturer does provide SMI-compatible motors. This would probably allow for way better shutter control and maybe even soft-start/stop compared to time-based-relay-actuators.

Thanks for your input. Did not know that there is a free version of ETS for few components. Will take a look into that.

I just needed the binary inputs to concatenate the signal from the virtual device.
The pushbuttons in the rooms are directly connected to the isolating relay. As I wanted to save some wire and have a little less wire to mess with in the cabinet. Already pretty full. But you are right most likely if I have some more devices free in the demo they will be used anyway. Now I am thinking about the outdoor lights :slight_smile:.

Never heard of SMI compatible motors before. Sounds interesting. Unfortunately not for me. I have Somfy. Don’t know which model. They come with automated end level switches which is nice. But it reads as if Somfy does its own thing.

There is (was?) also a “light” version for 20 devices which you can get quite cheap after doing a short web-course at knx.org.

What is a “virtual device”?

The relays from the Somfy things?

Ah sorry, I didn’t get that you already have motors. I thought you are still planning.

I thought I need some unit that puts out the Homeassistant commands into the Input for the shutter control.

We got the shutters with the windows and I did not bat an eye about the motors when we ordered them as there were things more important at that time. + I doubt that the company that we got the windows from really had the opportunity to get different motors. But thats in the past now :slight_smile: .

The pushbuttons in the room are connected to an isolating relay near the shutter. From there a second line is connected to the future place where the KNX/whatsoever controll is sitting. The isolating realy is preventing the motor from getting an up and down command at the same time.

I have looked up the options with MDT/ABB. Really looks like an options. Thanks for the tip.