Midea branded AC’s with ESPhome (no cloud)

too bad I ordered a presoldered, fully manufactured stick from Sergey :smiley:

That leaves you with #3 or #4 :wink: :slight_smile:

You could also try the other side (the unit side). Maybe these can be sanded better. Or you unsolder the connector on the unit side and solder in a standard usb port. :wink:

I’m not comfortable with that (unfortunately). My hands are shaking and my soldering skills are pretty limited. Don’t want to fck that thing :slight_smile:

But yes, probabley the easiest one will be to unsolder the unit side plug and solder a standard female USB in.

That’s unfortunate but more than understandable. :slight_smile: You wouldn’t want to see my soldering skills… If I’d have to make a living out of them, I’d be bankrupt before I even get started :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe you could try to get something going in ordering a set of USB ports and connectors. Soemthing like this:

There you could use the standard female for the dongle from Sergey, and the other side you could change to fit to the unit. Kind of anothe intermediate solution, but there you couldn’t ruin something expensive. If it doesn’t work the first time, you can always try again. :wink:

Hey guys. I just noticed (didn’t care about that before) - my humidity and power entities shows only 0. Outside temp work (matches even with my DS18b20 sensor :slight_smile: ).
MrCool unit, control and reporting ac state works fine.

@aceindy is there a chance it will work with VIVAX ACs ? There is a lot of them here in europe but i have not seen any thread on it.

It uses the same Net Home Plus app as Midea, but the integrations do not work for me and it shows as unavailable which leads me to think it uses some other communication protocol. However I would like to try your approach but idk if its worth ordering the stuff if it wont work :frowning:

Go get the stuff and try it. :slight_smile: If you choose the cheapest way, you’re under ten (10!) US$ or EUR. If that’s not worth trying, I don’t know what is. :wink:

If you take an ESP32 dev board, you can re-use it, in case it won’t work, eg. for a nice plant sensor, a scale or an LED strip. :slight_smile:

Just do it, and report back how things work out! :slight_smile:

What kind of Wifi module came with the AC? I just looked up some specs of Vivax units and not every Vivax unit seems to be Midea based.

If you have a wifi module that came with the AC and its a EU-OSK102 or EU-OSK103 this component will most likely work with your AC.

I just tried the midea discover and it outputted a message that the device is not supported so unfortunately the midea component is not a way to go for me …

that is why i am looking for this option, right now I am using Broadlink rm4 as a universal remote … but it only sends messages, it does not read the state or anything else

I wouldnt rely too much on that component, My ACs also reported unsupported and they work fine using dudanov’s component.

If you can share a picture of your outdoor unit I can tell if its Midea based or not.

You need to differentiate between the Midea A/C component from MacZhou and the component here. This is one component (other thread).

The second one is the component here in this thread, it’s an ESPHome based component for Midea A/Cs. That is something entirely different and is only remotely connected to this component here.

Yeah i know, this is a “home made” solution with usb/esp flashing.

That being said, the USB is actually a smart kit with EU-OSK103 written on it. Does it change anything for me ? I still need to buy the HW and make this home made solution right ?

Also I think (idk if its the same for all ACs) its a midea-like AC based on the pictures in this thread. Here is the wiring diagram with the plastic cover where the actual display sits.

1 Like

Yep this AC will probably work, looks very similar to mine.

Looks identical to my MrCool unit. Which works nicely. I replaced Usb dongle with mine. Midea A/C and ESPHome component - list of all known working models and manufacturers - #3 by mariojas

I concur with @nvschilleman , it will probably work with Vivac.
And yes, the esphome dongle will replace the osk103 wifi module.

Thank you all for the answers. I will start ordering the stuff to make one, by any chance is anybody already selling these ? I saw this one which looks like an all in one solution.

P.S.: Should I look under the LCD cover to check wheter an UART connection is possible there ?

The wifi module goes out and dongle replaces it….

However, I used the 4 pin header plug instead of the usb plug (as some users have issues with the USB plug not being USB and it won’t fit)
122f47220dcc1547196f57708af07c8913e9054f

and my header plug on the right:

I have the same USB style wifi dongle as you, with the notches on sides (right picture)

GitHub - dudanov/iot-uni-dongle: An project of universal minimalistic Wi-Fi dongle for various IOT appliances controlled via UART. :slight_smile: Ask @dudanov, he’s the code-owner of this repository and is selling these dongles. Just ask him here or in the Telegram group (link in first post). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope, you wont find it there, the UART connection is in the same place where the original dongle is placed.