Support for Nest Protect

I didn’t figure this one out yet, because the Nest API return this status… Good to hear that I am not the only one with this (hopefully) false positive. You could create an issue on GitHub to track this issue, where you include your diagnostics file.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Done:
Heat Test entity showing ‘Problem’ · Issue #50 · iMicknl/ha-nest-protect (github.com)

1 Like

have same issue

Fixed in 0.3.3.

By the way, I am looking for opinions on which sensors to enabled / disable by default. If you want to chime in, feel free to add your thought (or thumbs up) here: Massive number of “sensors” · Issue #57 · iMicknl/ha-nest-protect (github.com).

I installed this Nest Protect integration with HACS and rebooted. I’m not understanding what to do next.
I’d expect some section in README.md between Installation and Advanced, like “connect to your Google account”
namely, as far as I can tell I have the software installed, but I haven’t done anything to inform the integration of my Google account or connect to my Nest Protects.

My speculation since clearly others have figured out what to do: Am I supposed to install the official modern Home Assistant Nest integration and authorize it for the supported thermostats / cameras ? I do have a Nest Thermostat. I have never integrated the thermostat with Home Assistant. Both the Protects and Thermostat have been migrated to Google account.

This integration will just work for your Nest Protects, in order to connect your thermostat you will need the Nest integration from core.

The Nest Protect configuration is very simple. Did you click the blue button, or did you look for ‘Nest Protect’ on the integrations page? You can just configure the integration via the ConfigFlow, all steps are very easy and self explanatory.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, so this Nest Protect integration works in coordination with the Nest integration from core. I think listing in the installation section something like this would be helpful:

Prerequisite : Nest integration from core installed and running with Home Assistant access to supported Nest devices

Unfortunately I can’t test immediately. I did not have the Nest integration setup. I tried to do so but I’m hitting this OOB/Desktop Auth deprecation bug. New users cannot use the modern Desktop app api/authentication. I’ll dabble with the legacy web api approach.

It doesn’t. It is fully separated. However, if you want to support all your devices, you need both integrations.

It is fully separated.

I’m rather confused. Let’s say I don’t care about my thermostat. I really don’t. My aspiration has always been to utilize the presence / motion sensor in the Nest Protects already installed on several of my ceilings.

… So I follow the Nest Protect integration README.md installation instructions. That has left me with a " Nest Protect" integration under HACS. (I run the supervised HASS, btw). As far as I can tell, that integration doesn’t do anything.

EDIT: walked through again and got things to work this time. I had a bad results last night I think mixing a private browser window (for Home-assistant) and a normal browser for that had my Google login.

So, There are two steps:
1). HACS → Integrations → “+ Explore and Download Repositories” → “Nest Protect”
2) Restart Core
3) Configuration → Devices & Services → “+ Integration” → “Nest Protect”
3a) Follow the link in same browser to authenticate using google id to allow “Nest” access.
3b) Google provides a long authentication string for “Nest”
3c). Paste that string into the integration configuration dialog box
4) Nest Protect devices are presented in the next dialog, where you can assign a room to each.

All of this was done without using the “Nest” integration now built-in to Home Assistant.
Cool. I’m glad this works. I’ve been waiting three years to see these occupancy sensors. :slight_smile: Thanks for supporting this!

2 Likes

Thanks for the great integration imick!

2 Likes

Just replaced my Homebridge Nest Protect integration with this one. Great job @imick , and now I have one less VM running :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the great work @imick. It was a smooth installation.

1 Like

Just found this @imicknl, was about to go down the Homebridge route over the weekend to finally get my Nest Protect devices into HA after a loooong absence. Probably the most important devices to have really. Thank you so much. simple to install.

2 Likes

Hi everyone
What is the thing with temperature sensors in the new releases? Is that for other temp sensors that are under Nest account? I thought you were able to get the live temperature reading from the Nest protect devices

1 Like

See the changelog of the v0.3.4 release · iMicknl/ha-nest-protect (github.com). Unfortunately not the Nest Protect sensors.

Noticed in the readme that occupancy has a 10 minute timeout. Is this still the case?

Thinking about purchasing 7 nest protects to replace my existing non-smart smoke detectors which are end of life. Also curious as to how quickly HA received smoke/co/occupancy alerts.

Thank you to all involved in this integration.

Yes, this is a device / API limitation unfortunately. I never tried the CO / Smoke alarm yet, however occupancy triggers are quite quick here. Just know that everything works through their cloud, so no local support.

Great work on this! If it wasn’t for your hard work we wouldn’t have even bothered buying Nest Protects.

Is there any possibility of being able to utilize the motion sensors on the battery powered units as well? I have 2 mains powered units, but I have a bunch of battery powered ones too.

Unfortunately, this is a device limitation and thus not supported.

Is there an option to silence the alarm, if trigged?