Support for Nest Protect

Hi all,

Updated HA to 2022.11.0 and since then I get errors from Nest Protect:

Unable to prepare setup for platform nest_protect.select: Platform not found (Exception importing custom_components.nest_protect.select).

08:03:23 – (ERROR) setup.py

Unexpected exception importing platform custom_components.nest_protect.select

08:03:23 – (ERROR) Nest Protect (custom integration)

It also say that “select.nest_protect_bedroom_brightness” is not provided anymore bij the integration:

This entity is no longer being provided by the nest_protect integration. If the entity is no longer in use, delete it in settings.

Here the error log:

2022-11-03 08:03:23.749 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unexpected exception importing platform custom_components.nest_protect.select
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 728, in get_platform
    cache[full_name] = self._import_platform(platform_name)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 745, in _import_platform
    return importlib.import_module(f"{self.pkg_path}.{platform_name}")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1050, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1027, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1006, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 688, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 883, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/config/custom_components/nest_protect/select.py", line 23, in <module>
    class NestProtectSelectDescription(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dataclasses.py", line 1185, in dataclass
    return wrap(cls)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dataclasses.py", line 1176, in wrap
    return _process_class(cls, init, repr, eq, order, unsafe_hash,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dataclasses.py", line 1025, in _process_class
    _init_fn(all_init_fields,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dataclasses.py", line 546, in _init_fn
    raise TypeError(f'non-default argument {f.name!r} '
TypeError: non-default argument 'key' follows default argument
2022-11-03 08:03:23.755 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform nest_protect.select: Platform not found (Exception importing custom_components.nest_protect.select).
2 Likes

I have the same problem as @poudenes. (I have 0.3.8 installed) In HACS I tried the option “Redownload” which showed version 0.3.9 is available but when I try installing this version I get the following message:
You are running Home Assistant version ‘2022.11.0’, but this repository requires minimum version ‘2022.11’ to be installed.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. I will fix this later today when I have access to a computer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have updated the integration. Error is gone and works again!!!

1 Like

Thank you for fixing it so quickly.

I have also updated the integration Nest Protect to v0.3.10 but I’m still unable to retrieve an access token. (Or do you guys fixed another problem?)

Same here, updated everything to the latest and still getting “Access blocked: Nest’s request is invalid”

Works again!
Thank you for fixing this so quickly.

Same issue here.

did it ever work for you, or is this the first time you installed it?

I had an issue with updating to 0.3.9 (which is now fixed as 0.3.10), I tried deleted the integration and tried to manually add it BUT, then was faced with the re-aunthetication issue and basically could not get it work.

I did a restore from back-up (4 day old back-up), and it was working again and then updated to 0.3.10 and now all is good.

So, if you’ve never installed this before, you’re hooped until a new re-authentication mechanism is figured out otherwise, just restore to a working backup, and update to 0.3.10.

I did have it working fine for ages, but recently started from scratch with a fresh install of home assistant and this is this integration couldn’t be added back in. Its such a shame because it has been solid for years.

I hear you. You’re only hope now is to restore from a working backup. I was this close to losing it to yesterday if it wasn’t for the backup.

Is it possible to restore only one integration? That would be great if I can, as I have made so much progress with my fresh install I wouldn’t want to backslide.

I tried to do this at first by doing a partial restore but I didn’t see anything about a custom component being restored. There was folders that I could restore perhaps it was in one of the folders? I didn’t really delve into it too much because my last backup was only 4 days ago so I very quickly able to do the changes that I did in the last 4 days

The same here. I recently started all over again with a fresh install. I have no more possibility to restore from a back up.

This solved it for me thanks :blush:

Will it work again. or is it dead

//Kim

Getting this error when trying to setup.

I’ve recently moved to Home Assistant and all of my devices (zwave, zigbee, hue mainly) have all migrated beautifully. So have the 3 Nest Protects that I currently have working through a Smartthings v2 hub using the old Nest API - as the Smartthings device handler that works with the Google API doesn’t support Nest Protects.

However, Smartthings are migrating from Groovy to Edge and I expect the device handler I have will soon break. I would therefore like to simplify things and integrate the Nest Protects directly with Home Assistant.

Reading into this thread, it would seem
a) that the preferred approach would have been to migrate to the Google API and use imick’s integration. But it has a (hopefully temporary) issue with Google’s authentication.
b) that the previous approach was to install the Homebridge plugin etc which also uses the Google API.

Does anyone know whether the Homebridge approach is affected by the Google authentication issue too? I’d be sad if I did the one way migration from the Nest to Google API and then got stuck again :frowning:

Or if I can somehow reuse the Nest API with a Home Assistant plugin? (I don’t think that is feasible)
Thanks

HomeBridge is currently functional! They did implement a cookie method (which is more hacky) and I didn’t found it user friendly enough, however unfortunately the most user friendly way is now blocked…

So in the future we need to migrate the custom component to such a way as well.