Tablet or Raspberry with Screen for entrance

I am currently renovating a house and I am wondering what kind of control-unit I’ll but into my entrance.
I thought a tablet would be great. Easy to install. Just make it display home-assistant with a special Dashboard for the things I need there.

But I guess certain things would be a nice to have. Like f.e. automatically turn it on.
I will have a PIR sensor in the entrance, so detecting when it should be turned on would be doable.

Also if somebody would ring the doorbell, it would be nice if it would turn on and display the camera that is pointing towards the street.

I guess thinks like those are not really working when I’d use f.e. an iPad, right? Or only via push-notifications?!? But I’d rather prefer an “without the internet” solution for that.

So I though when I’d use a Raspberry with a touch-screen display, things like those should be “easier” to do?!? And setting up a web-browser there pointing to home-assistant should also be easy?

Would be great to know if you already solved that problem? Would be great to see your projects

Have a great day and stay save!!!

I use a Fire8 tablet with WallPanel app. CCOSTAN has a great write up about his version of the same.

Thanks for the info… do you have a link to the write up you are referring to? Would be great!

Sorry, writing from mobile so harder to link.

GitHub: https://github.com/CCOSTAN/Home-AssistantConfig/blob/master/README.md

Blog: https://www.vcloudinfo.com/2017/07/visualizing-smart-home-using-home.html

1 Like

Thanks a lot… I’ll read the article and see if it would fit me!
Thanks

Hm… so about the automatically turning on or automatically showing a camera image? Is that something I could achieve with a Fire Tablet?

I use FullyKiosk on a Fire 7 Tablet (Not registered, Google Play Store side loaded) with HADashboard from AppDaemon.

FullyKiosk has the features that you describe. I have not use it to automatically display cameras yet, but I feel that is an easy thing to do with the REST API that licensed FullyKiosk has.

There’s a browser-mod plugin on HACS that will allow you to take control of browser viewing HA page. You could probably use something like that to make camera image appear.

Wallpanel has all those features too I think. And is free and open source.

I will have to check that out, FullyKiosk works and the priced wasn’t bad per dashboard. I have 3 Dashboards.

The important thing is to get a tablet with the most recent version of android that you can. The HA frontend is pretty intense (technical term there) and requires quite modern web support. avoid anything before 5.0 imho. There are a lot of cheap tablets from China that have 4.4. Avoid. (There are also many cheap tablets with later versions).