Temporarily use a different network

Hi,

I have a ZigBee-Installation up and running in my house. But I would like to run a little experiment with just two devices on the network. Could the following approach work for that?

• Take a Backup of the current Controller’s configuration
  • Use “migrate radio” to start a new network. The current network’s devices should be displayed as offline then.
  • Do the experiments on the new network.
  • Use “migrate radio” again to restore the backup
  • All of the old devices should be back online afterwards

I am just asking since I do not want to loose my current network.

There’s all kinds of ways this can go wrong and in this case wrong wipes out your network. I wouldn’t even attempt it.

What are you actually trying to experiment with - there’s probably a better way.

I have some switch-actors of the following type:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003737195274.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.73655c5fM5eXs1&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

I would like to see a proof that these devices do work as zigbee-routers and do thus extend my network.

Background:
According to the spec and the network’s visualization, these devices are routers. But the last time I wanted to extend my network, this did not work: I was able to control device A from my existing network. Device B was only 3 meters away from device A and had a direct line of sight. But device B was not controllable. As soon as I moved device B closer to my existing network, it became controllable.

I am trying to find the cause of this issue: Either I made some mistake or the devices do not work as routers.

How can I prove that the devices work as routers?

Most Zigbee devices wont switch parents unless they simply can’t find the current assigned parent. You have to do work to ensure that they are the routers for your child devices. It doesn’t happen automagically if you added the router AFTER you added the children.

You can do this experiment by adding to the existing network and rejoining the end devices through the new router. It will work or it doesn’t and you don’t need to dismantle your network to do so.

This was the case during installation: They were unable to contact the device they were originally joined to.

How can I be sure that the end device uses the new router?
For this, I need to make sure that the end device does only see the new router and nothing else. That’s pretty hard in a house full of zigbee-devices.
That’s why I thought about starting a new network for the test.

The alternative would be to carry the controller (i.e. the server running home assistant) somewhere else where not a single device in my current network can reach it.

what Zigbee integration are you using. And in most ases you will want to put your routers in place and just rejoin the end device- let it pick its own router.

ZHA with a ConBee II

I do totally agree. But in my case, the devices did not seem to find a router that was in plain sight and only 3 meters away.
There are (mainly) two reasons for that: I did something wrong or the router is not a router.

And thus I am trying to come up with a testing-scenario, where I can check whether the router routes or not. And for that, I want to make sure that the end device can only reach the router and nothing else. This is pretty hard to do in a home full of zigbee-devices.

Nope, there are a number of factors a device takes into consideration that end users do not see when a device chooses a parent. The most significant of which is usually - simply who responded first. You could simply be falling victim to where a parent device is in its clock cycle. Literally thats all. It’s supposed to make it so that if a device responds quickly it must be good - choose that. But in some cases the logic is flawed.

If your device works choosing its own parent - leave it alone

If your device DOES NOT work choosing its own parent, you can force its parent at join by choosing pair through this device (pick the router) Im sorry Im a Z2M guy and don’t know where ethe controls for it are in ZHA but I know they’re there…

Doesnt warrant potentially scramming an entire network.