Testing HA on Ubuntu using the Home Assistant Core - where is the yaml?

I’m testing out different platofrms - hassio first which I liked but erased it as it was a VM on windows using too much RAM.
Now formatted windows and just got ubuntu works out nicely.

BUT I used home assistant core this time from:

So where on earth do I config everything??
Is there no yaml? Is there no add-on store? How can I add HACS for example?

Have I missed a lot?
Seems extremely limited. Can’t do anything with it.

You installed Home Assistant Core.

• Yes, it can be configured using YAML-based files.
  • No, it does not include Add-Ons or the Supervisor.
  • HACS is a custom component. Follow the instructions on its web-site: Prerequisites | HACS

You installed Home Assistant Core in a python virtual environment. I believe its YAML files are located in /home/homeassistant/config but I may be wrong (it’s been a long time since I’ve installed the ‘venv’ version).

Home Assistant Core is the heart of Home Assistant (i.e. what you referred to as hassio which is a name that was deprecated many months ago). Core does everything except support Add-Ons (which is a feature provided by the Supervisor).

Home Assistant consists of:

1. Home Assistant Core
  2. Supervisor
  3. Optional Add-Ons
  4. HassOS

The first three are provided as docker containers and run in docker on HassOS. Its YAML files are located in /usr/share/hassio.

1 Like

You installed Home Assistant Core in a python virtual environment. I believe its YAML files are located in /home/homeassistant/config

I’m running a virtualenv install. The yaml defaults to .homeassistant in the users home directory

Following the RPI guide, will default to /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant. If you’re not familiar with Linux, the leading . means the .homeassistant folder is hidden. In your file browser, be sure to “show hidden file”

1 Like

No there is not

Yes look in the directory /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant

Wow! That’s changed since I had installed it in a venv about 2 years ago. At the time, the configs were not in a hidden directory. I understand why the .storage directory is hidden (with its auto-generated JSON files) but fail to see why YAML config files are now in a hidden directory. I wonder what was the reason for the change?

My recollection of it being different was because I didn’t use the official installation instructions which resulted in my config files being located elsewhere (i.e. not in a hidden directory).

Thanks for the info guys. No wonder I couldn’t find it! Did not realise it was hidden.
Anyway I blew that away and I’m back to hassio on docker.

Love the supervisor, file editor and cloud9 ide to just be able to drag/drop large files etc.

Just haven’t got my influxdb up and running again from the browser. Having a few teething issues with 402 error.
It’s running and can see the databases from the command line.

Nope, that’s not correct.

The configuration files for the venv install have always been located at that same path as posted above - including being in that hidden directory.

2 Likes

You are correct and I think I know why I have a different recollection of where the files reside (and why it seemed unfamiliar to me that they are in a hidden directory).

My old production server used the venv installation method but I recently re-formatted its disk so I can’t to refer to it anymore (I no longer use a venv). However, I do still have a hard-copy of the installation instructions I had used. It would appear I followed someone’s custom instructions so a few things were different. Here’s the relevant portion of it:

I keep all the config files in the same directory (rather than having them in /home/homeassistant) and I like to have the log file not in the config directory so I run it by calling:

mkdir config
./bin/hass -c /opt/homeassistant/config --log-file /opt/homeassistant/hass.log

So those instructions resulted in the configuration files residing in /opt/homeassistant/config which is not a hidden directory.

My mistake; thanks for the correction. I’ll amend my previous post to prevent misleading others.

1 Like