The future of the HomeKit integration?

Reason I come onboard with my HA journey almost a year ago was to make my non compatible smart tech work with HomeKit. I’ve been getting there, except for cameras.

Which now brings me on to the future of this integration. I notice @cdce8p has stepped down from the code owner which kinda makes me worry.

Anyone know anyone how can continue to maintain an potentially… integrate the missing cameras feature? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh… sadly I don’t think so. So many of us have been waiting for this for years and it’s not impossible. I read on other pages some guys were playing around with the help of @cdce8p and they successfully exposed cameras with ffmpeg and python to HomeKit. But it’s an expert thing with a lot of trying and patience and it doesn’t work from HA natively. As far as I know @cdce8p quit the HomeKit project and it looks like no one is really interested. I hope I am wrong.

I’d love to see camera’s integrated into the homekit codebase, but in the meantime, you can run homebridge-homekit with the camera integration. It can be used in parallel with the native integration,.

I wonder if the current integration will work with the changes comming with iOS13:

Different sensors of the same accessory get merged into a single tile. Does someone have iOS13 running with the HA?

I hope you are wrong too @A320Peter. Seems like i have been waiting a while and others years. Although not a complaint since i have no way to contribute to the codebase otherwise i would help i anyway i can.

you can run homebridge-homekit with the camera integration

@boojew - oh you can? I was looking into homebridge recently and seems like it has a fairly active community and captures a good few things missing from the current setup. How do you have yours setup? Wondering how you managed to get this installed on your current setup?

Also, looking at a couple of tv addons like homebridge-samsung-tizen - this looks like it has support to fully integrate this into HomeKit.

@SimplyGardner - homebridge is great. Admittedly, the native Hass integration is better for HomeAssistant only stuff… and cameras :wink: This is the module I used https://github.com/KhaosT/homebridge-camera-ffmpeg/wiki/Tested-Configurations

Thanks.

How did buoy get it to run on the same machine as hassio? Like, how did I install home bridge. Assuming I can do it through the command line?

I ran it on an independent docker container - but https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-homebridge exists.

Is that still working?

Running ios13 and everything seems to be working. Have some bugs with light color though which I’m not sure it is HA related.

Any difference in how sensors are grouped together? E.g the Xiaomi sensors which measure temperature and humidity?

Nope. We’re safe here cause HA don’t expose sensors in a way that HomeKit will group then.

HomeKit groups services within a single accessory.

Edit: to be clear. I have multiple multi sensors and none is grouped (including the aqara humidity and temp)

Since we’re talking homekit and sensors exposed via HASS, has anyone been able to get notifications enabled for sensors? For some reason, HASS sensors only have “status” instead of “status and notifications” in the home app so I cannot enable notifications from them.

Edit: seems like a homekit problem as they don’t support notifications for air quality sensors.

What you looking for exactly? I think this feature is managed by HomeKit. Some sensors and devices like roller blinds, motion sensors get ‘Status and Notification’ flag in HomeKit while other devices only get ‘Status’. I think it’s all managed by HomeKit not HA.

1 Like

I have notifications for my binary sensors, at least the ones with occupancy as their device class. Don’t have any binary sensors that aren’t occupancy style exposed.

Good Morning

I’m new here and try to get a connection from my Hassio to mi Apple HomeKit.

First, I explain what I’ll try to do. I do like to integrate mi BloomSky (weather station) information to HomeKit. With this information’s I’ll program my sun blind, my lights, and so on.

Now I get the most information from my BloomSky and see them in my Hassio. This works really fine. But now is the problem to get all signals to HomeKit. If I connect my Hassio with HomeKit I don’t get all triggers to HomeKit. I read a lot of information’s hear in the community of Hassio. But I don’t understand how I must place the missed triggers under “platform, include, exclude and so on.

Hope someone can explain me the way, how I get this triggers over my configuration.yaml from Hassio to HomeKit.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best Regards
Gregor

Hi Gregor,

You may want to start by commenting out the filters. That will add all compatible entities into Homekit. You can then see if you’re getting your triggers. Once you know they are available in Homekit, then you can start limiting what gets synchronized. It’s also helpful to delay the start of the Homekit integration by a few minutes to make sure that your BloomSky platform is fully operational after restarting HA, and all sensors are available when the Homekit integration starts. Let us know if the comments in the example configuration below help you. If not, then please list the triggers that you are trying to include. Only components listed here are supported - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/homekit#supported-components

automation:
- alias: Start HomeKit
  trigger:
  - event: start
    platform: homeassistant
  action:
  - delay: 00:02
  - service: homekit.start

homekit:
  auto_start: false
  filter:

# AS A GENERAL RULE OF PRECEDENCE: 
    # include_entities > exclude_entities > include_domains > exclude_domains

include_domains:   # <<< START BY LEAVING OUT THIS FILTER
      # Comment out this filter to add all domains that are compatible with the homekit integration
      # Only entities of Domains specified here will be included
      # Specific entities of these domains can be excluded by adding them to exclude_entities

exclude_domains:
      # Specify entire domains to exclude from to Homekit here
      # You can add individual entities from domains listed here under include_entities
      - device_tracker
      - sensor
      - binary_sensor
      - script
      - scene
      - remote
      - media_player
      - cover

include_entities:
      # Entities from excluded domains can be added here to include in homekit
      - binary_sensor.front_door_open
      - binary_sensor.back_door_open
      - binary_sensor.guest_bedrooom_window_open
      - binary_sensor.garage_motion_detected
      - cover.garage_door 
      - cover.livig_room_curtains
      - cover.master_bedroom_curtains
      - media_player.vizio_smartcast
      - media_player.mdchromecast
      - media_player.living_room_apple_tv_2
      - media_player.roku_premier
      - media_player.harman_kardon_avr

exclude_entities:
      # Entities from inlcuded domains can be added here to exclude from homekit
      - automation.start_homekit
      - switch.tv_vizio_power
      - switch.master_bedroom_perimeter_lights
      - switch.master_bedroom_main_lights
      - light.master_closet_light_remote
      - light.master_perimeter_lights

Hope this is helpful.

DPH

Dear DHP
Thank you for the explains.
To the point of the triggers for my Apple Home Kit integration.
I know that if I set no filters, I should get all triggers to the Home Kit.
But I don’t get the following triggers. For my understanding they should work.
The missed entities are:

• camera.bloomsky
  • sensor.bloomsky_rainrate
  • sensor.bloomsky_uvindex_2
  • sensor.bloomsky_sustainedwindspeed
  • sensor.bloomsky_humidity
  • sensor.bloomsky_pressure

Hope you can help me to fix my problems.
Thanks for your quick answer and best regards
Gregor