Thermostats - ZWave or wifi

Hi,
has anybody tried these thermostats from ali?
First one - zwave

Second one - wifi (tuya?)

What can be controlled from HASSIO?

Can you change presets or do just temporary temperature changes?
Is the zwave one somehow unified, so it will just work without any tinkering?

Has anyone tried flashing tuya thermostat with esphome or tasmota to make it work with HASSIO.
The logic of thermostat is inside or controlled directly from hassio?

Libor

If I had only those 2 to choose from, I’d go with the zwave one. It is likely neither device would be able to run custom firmware (ie non-flashable). Therefore with the wifi one you would be cloud dependent, and probably on a sketchy cloud too based on the vendor/brand. The zwave one has a chance of being compatible with ha, and it would be safer since it won’t be on your IP network. Compatible without tinkering? IDK… is there an integration for it? Unless you have found that, or some good information showing how to get it working with HA, I would assume some tinkering would be required to bring her home. I personally wouldn’t even buy a thermostat that doesn’t already have a working fully local integration in HA.

Generally speaking, more complex devices like thermostats and sprinkler timers won’t have custom firmwares like Tasmota, esphome, etc… they’re just too complex to make hacking worthwhile (lots of I/O or data processing) or they have proprietary hardware (those fancy displays, etc) that thwarts hacking attempts. So usually HA devs go for devices that have publicly released API’s. With such a device it is possible to have fully local control, and still have the screen/buttons/etc work the way they should. Ideally you’d search for known good HA local only control thermostats, and select from those. You’ll end up paying more, but thermostats and sprinkler timers are the pièce de résistance of home automation devices. So extra cost is to be expected, unless you have the programming skills and time to have fun with something unknown.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for detailed reply.

I was hoping, that zwave has some kind of “device class” (like you have on usb - like mass-storage or hid) for thermostat, which exposes defined interface for reading values and setting values. Actual thermostat magic may be hidden inside in “blackbox” (managing preset temperature, showing stuff on LCD etc…).

I understand, that wifi one would probably need to stay on original firmware and cloud app (unless there was someone, who programmed the internals of specific model), which is no option for me.

I will search of HA compatible zwave thermostat to test, i have 5 to replace in my house.

Thanks,
Libor

I don’t have power to my thermostat, so I need to use the GoControl Z-Wave Thermostat (it doesn’t specify on that page, but it is actually z-wave plus).

It exposes the climate.thermostat device and is fully compatible with HA:

@elkropac, you are more or less correct in thinking zwave will have ‘device_classes’ that will be available to HA (like set heat/cool temps, sensor temp, relay state, etc are possible depending on the device). I haven’t invested in a thermostat yet, but this is the one currently on the top of my list:

It works with or without a c-wire, which is something you should consider while researching.

My current thermostats are running on 220V AC and have four wire connectors - L+N for powering thermostat itself and different L+N for powering load - i have ceiling heating foil directly connected to 220AC.
Power for all thermostats is on common circuit breaker and each room has separate circuit breaker for load

This is very different than the sort of circuit that is normally described as a ‘thermostat’, which runs on 24vac and uses low voltage dry contracts for switching. You are going to need either a specialty thermostat (oil heater style that has high power relays built in), or you could rig up a normal (24vac powered) thermostat that outputs to some 220VAC rated relays. I’m not familiar with options for the former, and I’d try to avoid DIY’ing this since it’s going to be bulky and a fire hazard. That said, the DIY w/ normal thermostat is certainly doable if you are OK with that.

Those two, i linked in my original post, are both 220AC and can handle up to 16A.

Here is wiring diagram of my current thermo
https://www.libble.eu/elektrobock-pt-712/online-manual-798189/?page=0002

As i said, each room has separate heating controlled by separate thermostat.

Ok, so i ordered the z-wave one. Just before pandemic break out.
I waited for 3 months for them to send it. Eventually, they offered me some discount on this

I have connected it to zwave and it integrated with hass without problem.

It shows temperature and humidity.
I will have to rewire connection a little, it has only one powerline (my current thermostat is powered by one powerline and it has relay on separate powerline)

Hello,
I’m using Beca wifi thermostat (originally Tuya) with great success.
You can put custom firmware, check github project:

The only challenge is to solder pins and upload firmware for the first time, later is OTA.
Edit: no need to solder using tuya-convert’

1 Like

That is an interesting setup, and good to see you are progressing on it. I was going to suggest using relays to toggle 220V lines from the signal coming from a “standard thermostat” (standard=low voltage). This way you can get the security and features of a solid thermostat (zwave or whatever), and interface it with the 220V lines you have to deal with.

Actually, i installed it 3 weeks ago. I have had a little electroboom moment when testing it , i was wrong in my assumption of how is my heating system wired.

It turns out, the relay breaks neutral line comming from control L from contactor. So i managed to connect this L to L powering the thermostat. After switching cables (so L is on N of thermostat and N is on L of thermostat and also on output of relay), everything is ok