Trigger node red from Alexa

I recently moved from SmartThings to HA and still have ST integrated for some devices, including 2 virtual switches which I use for bedtime routines. One turns bedroom devices on and another indicates sleep and turns off lights and turns down heating etc. Both are turned on by Alexa routines and sleep is turned off by HA detecting when the Alexa alarm goes off, however in the last couple of days I’ve had a really long lag before the sleep virtual switch turns off in ST and starts the node red actions (about 8 minutes this morning…). I would like to bin the ST virtual switch and set up in HA, and I initially thought I could use an input boolean, however Alexa cannot control it, and I saw a suggestion for a template switch (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/switch.template). I’ve followed the instructions, used the example templates and cannot get it to work (Check config error: Invalid config for [sensor.template]: [switches] is an invalid option for [sensor.template].)

Can someone please advise the best approach for this? Thanks…

I’ve never had ST and I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but if you want to trigger node red from alexa, check this out. From any of the two you can create devices in Alexa that show up as nodes in NR, triggering your flows from alexa requests. First one works on the cloud and is more versatile. Second one works locally, a little bit more limited

3 Likes

@obaldius You appear to have linked the same link twice (node-red-contrib-alexa-home-skill)? Also, this package does not allow you to use Amazon login if you have enabled a OTP or 2FA best I can tell.

Dunno why it was linked twice, already corrected. I enabled OTP after installing this node and I’ve had no problems using it :man_shrugging: