TriSensor not messaging back reliably (OZW)

Hi everyone, I’m trying to work out why I can’t get a Aeotec TriSensor to message back to my RPI with Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick reliably.

I’ve migrated to the new OpenZWave integration, which I did especially for this sensor when I bought it. Under this setup, I’ve found performance to be very hit and miss, despite the TriSensor reporting good connection health. I’ve noticed that the sticking point seems to be within the OZW integration because messages are not always coming up in the log after triggering.

Any thoughts would be excellent!

What triggers are you expecting? Are you using the binary sensor for motion detection? For me that’s the reliable one, but nonetheless there should be a message when the device is triggered. Is it battery powered and has it finished fully loading (querying) the device?

make sure that you set all z-wave association to you controller (usb stick?), try to use aeotec pc software to check it Z-Wave PC Controller

Thanks for the suggestions! Even though the TriSensor was reporting good signal, I decided to move it to another location in the hall and, lo and behold, that seems to have been the issue. It’s been running without an issue for 18 hours now without a problem.

I think the take-home message here is that devices may not always reliably report how bad signal quality is, or if signal quality changes from time to time in that location. Try using the device again close to the controller for a time to verify!

I’ll answer some of these questions anyway in case it helps others.

What triggers are you expecting?

Binary sensor for motion, temperature, luminance.

There should be a message when the device is triggered.

Yeah so I wasn’t getting this message reliably on OZW. Successful messages trigger an item in the event log, but this wasn’t always happening.

Is it battery powered and has it finished fully loading (querying) the device?

Battery powered, but I had it woken up to let the controller finish querying it.

make sure that you set all z-wave association to you controller (usb stick?)

I’ve typically been set-and-forget with Z-Wave, so I’m not entirely sure what you mean here, but I did make sure that it had paired with the Z-Stick. I’ve not actually used the Aeotec software before, I should give it a look.

1 Like