Turning light on by dimming not reported as ON

Hello,

I’m using a Siemens KNX/DALI gateway to control DALI dimmers.

I’m able to control it from home assistant and from a KNX push button but when I turn on a light by using the dimming function (long press) on the knx button it keeps looking turned off in home assistant then with the light on, if I press the icon to turn the light on in ha, it immediately reports the right light level.
By turning it on with the on-off feature of the button it is reported as it should in ha.

Is is a problem with the configuration or a normal behavior that the light isn’t reported as turned on when using the dimmer ?

- name: "Plafond"
      address: "1/0/17"
      state_address: "1/1/17"
      brightness_address: "1/3/17"
      brightness_state_address: "1/4/17"

Thanks

Hi :wave:!
It’s expected not to show as turned on when only a brightness state is received (not all Knx actuators turn on when a new brightness is set). You’ll have to configure your Dali gateway to actively send a on/off state (1/1/17) when it is turned on.

By default it will not send a on/off status or value status. So like farmio said, you will need to set that in ETS

Thanks for the replies, it works now. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’ve the same situation. What is the parameter to change in ETS ? I have a Feller Dali/Knx Gateway and i don’t find a distinct parameter for that.

Thanks in advance.

Which model exactly?

This one :
Feller 36161-00.REG / DALI-Gateway Plus

Switching and Dimming:
By default these are off.
You should get the data points now, same for single devices.

this is my parameter, it seems already ok ? but didn’t work.

The object should show up when you save this.
Then you should assign the object to a status group in ETS.

I already have group adresses in ETS

The problem is like riviera said in the top of the topic :

I’m able to control it from home assistant and from a KNX push button but when I turn on a light by using the dimming function (long press) on the knx button it keeps looking turned off in home assistant then with the light on, if I press the icon to turn the light on in ha, it immediately reports the right light level.
By turning it on with the on-off feature of the button it is reported as it should in ha.

Does the status object for the on/off reports on in ETS when you turn it on by dimming?

No only this message :

|54|12.11.2023 20:02:47,703|à partir du bus||Bas|1.1.36|EDIZIOdue colore Poussoir 1-8x RGB|Int. double chambre Ryan|1/3/3|DALI P - Chambre Ryan|||5|GroupValue_Write||$09 | + 100%|||

I remark that this message is send too :

|34|12.11.2023 20:08:33,614|à partir du bus||Bas|1.1.39|Passerelle DALI Plus KNX|1/4/3|STATUT GENERAL|||5|GroupValue_Write||$01 | On

I should had
44: [4] Groupe - Ret. d’inf. état de la commut. in the association below :

Then its an issue with the Dali gateway. If there is no update for the % status when you use relative dimming then HA wont know it has been updated sadly.
If you use long press after that initial on, does it update then?

I think you didn’t understood the problem. It’s not the percentage who didn’t update. There is no on status message sent when i long press the physical KNX button. Only percentage message sent.