Tuya/Zemismart curtain motor local zwave control help - solved

I recently bought a Tuya(Zemismart) curtain motor with a zwave dongle. HA was able to add the zwave node but I can’t figure out how to control it. The Tuya integration seems to be dependent on the Tuya app which I’m trying to avoid using. I’m also trying to avoid using Smartthings if possible. Does anyone know or have any documents on how I can control the curtain motor locally via zwave? I’m also open to adding zigbee into my local network if zwave is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

setup:
HA on rasberry pi 4 docker. version 0.113.1
Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 USB Stick ZST10.
Zemismart curtain motor https://www.zemismart.com/products/zemismart-smartthings-control-z-wave-motorize-curtain-with-track-customized-smart-curtains

node:

Please post the XML portion from zwcfg_xxxxxx.xml for this node (node 54) so we can see what it’s being reported as for better troubleshooting.

Please enclose your XML post with 3 ` characters.

This is of interest to me. I do plan on buying this curtain system.

update: I restarted the zwave network and it works now. you have to restart the zwave network after the zwave node is fully online.

instructions:
curtain track assembly was easy and there were videos for it on youtube. Once you plug in the zwave dongle, use a pin to press the button 3 times to add node. I had to open the casing to press the button on the 2nd track I bought but you can easily open and close the casing. if you don’t see it in your zwave network. restart it then it will show up.

Hi, I am looking into purchasing the same curtain motor. Could you describe your Z-Wave experience with this item? Is there anything that cannot be dove via Home Assistant Z-Wave connection? Does it report all the states in HA (open/closed/partially open…)?

There is also a cheaper option to get the same device but with WiFi connectivity.
With your experience do you think it would be better/worse/easier/same?

I appreciate your feedback!

it works fine in HA. I don’t have any automation set for it yet but it should work fine for automation too. Here is my manual setup while I wait for curtains to get here. The most challenging part about using this was actually not having anyone sharing that it works and no instructions on how to get it to work.

I don’t have the wifi version but I believe there are videos online for it. I imagine it’d be a similar process as setting up the zwave version. the motor and the zwave dongle are 2 separate pieces. The company probably only need to swap out the dongle for different connection methods(zwave/zigbee/wifi) so I can’t imagine the setups being too different across them.

curtain track assembly was easy and there were videos for it on youtube. Once you plug in the zwave dongle, use a pin to press the button 3 times to add node. I had to open the casing to press the button on the 2nd track I bought but you can easily open and close the casing.

I can read its position(slider) and set its position(slider & open/close) easily. I’ve had it plugged in for a month now and I haven’t had any issue. I’ll update again when I add heavy curtains to the track.

146030686_930237271084577_3242746093409682860_n

1 Like

Wow! That’s more hands-on details than I expected. Thanks for that. You Sir have dispelled all my doubts about buying this device, so I am going to order it right now. Thanks!

Hey @Waffle555 which z wave adapter did you use? I was about to return the tuya version I bought from amazon in favor of ordering the z wave native from zemismart. If I could do a drop in… well that would be swell.

Derp saw it in your notes above, thanks !

Fun fact: I actually contacted the Zemismart customer support in Chinese when I ran into the problem and they told me it doesn’t support HA and insisted that I needed Smartthings. I had already bought it at that point so I kept trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup. Guess they just didn’t know what HA is.

If anyone else have tried to use the same setup after reading my post, please drop a comment here so there’s more examples of it on the forum. I really think this is the easiest setup that’s fairly affordable that allows direct control from HA with a generic zwave controller.

Hi,
Wanted to ask if anyone in the U.S. has used Zemismart’s ZWave?
I can’t seem to find out who makes the dongle that has gone through the ZWave Alliance certification…i.e. looking to see if ZWaveJS will support it?

Thanks

EDIT (Answer my own question): ZWaveJS supports this device!!

I went ahead and got a Zemismart motorized curtain kit with ZWave for U.S. frequencies. The kit comes with a ZWave dongle in the form of a rectangular box with a RJ11-6C connector/cable that plugs into the Zemismart motor’s port labeld “Lan”. It looks just like the Saykey device that has been certified by the ZWave Alliance. Mine came instead with a label showing: “Product Name: BINTHEN Curtain Module Frequency: US”.

When the device is paired with ZWaveJS2MQTT Controller, the device reports:
manufacturerId => 812 which is x032C
productType => 12295 which is x3007
productId => 5 which is x0005

These are the same IDs as the one certified by the ZWave Alliance for the Europe/CEPT, and ZWaveJS supports this device (and thus supports my BINTHEN dongle).

A few other notes for anyone interested:

1. The RJ11 cable that comes with the kit is not wired symmetrically, so be careful which end you plug into the box versus the motor. In my case one end of the cable is labeled “box”, and this is the end that plugs into the ZWave dongle. The ZWave dongle talks to the motor using a single-ended version of RS485 for both Tx and Rx. The Motor supplies 5VDC to the dongle.
  2. When the dongle is first powered on (and unpaired), there is a RED LED that initially flashes slow, then after a few seconds flashes fast. To pair the device, use a paperclip (or so) and fast tap the inclusion button 3 times. If successful, the RED LED will turn off…and the next time you power off and back on, the RED LED will initially flash fast for a few seconds, then turn off.
  3. When the dongle is paired with ZWaveJS2MQTT for the first time, several of the ZWave parameters are shown in the logs as undefined, including the manufacturer IDs (which causes it to show up as unknown). To fix this, use the ZWaveJS2MQTT UI to re-interview the device, which will now report correctly all the undefined parameters, and the device will now be shown as “Shenzhen Saykey Technology Co., Ltd.”
  4. The dongle supports MultiLevel Switch. After being paired and re-interviewed, the dongle will report that its “current value” is 50%. However its end points (which the documentation will call “lead/tail”) are unknown, so changing the MultiLevel Switch target value to anything will cause the motor to spin indefinitely (which is OK for now). After the curtain is installed, use the “Binary Switch” command to turn the device on and off a couple of times and the motor will auto-discover its lead/tail endpoints. Afterwards, the MultiLevel Switch can be used to correctly control the percentage of open/close. You can also use the ZWaveJS2MQTT UI->Configuration to clear these endpoint settings, and have the motor relearn them.
  5. After pairing/re-interviewing, the ZWaveJS2MQTT reports that the dongle is not listing any neighbors. To fix this, run a “heal Node” on the dongle.
1 Like