Two Z-Wave sticks: US and Europe

I have a number of US Aeotec sensors and connected them with Hassio through a US Z-wave stick. Can I add a second Z-wave stick with Europe frequency so I can have both US and Europe devices connected? I guess the question is whether I can have two Z-wave environments run in parallel on the same RPI-Hassio?

1 Like

Nope, there’s only support for a single Z-Wave controller.

Yeah, just like @Tinkerer said, there is only support for one zwave controller at a time. However, you could get another pi, install homeassistant onto it and use MQTT to send commands and states between the two.

EDIT: This probably isn’t legal. Use at your own risk.

If you are in the US I think is illegal to use EU frequencies and viceversa

There is no “think” about it, Claudio is absolutely correct - it is illegal.
Furthermore should your house be subject to an insurance claim (say a fire) then the insurance company is within their rights to with-hold any compensation as the equipment is not appropriately certified and your policy is void (unless you have dual certified equipment, though this is highly unlikely given the different frequencies).

Correct, true is also… they have to find out!

If the op wants to take the risk, the solution is 2 machines

Okay, so doing it means you are in risk of losing the value of your house - and you ‘may’ find that risk acceptable … but …
What about if someone dies in that fire ?
You are then subject to manslaughter at the minimum. And I think you will find that the investigation is a LOT more stringent.
I am not willing to take THAT risk

well, I think is very difficult to prove that a zwave stick has been the cause for a fire that killed somebody.

Errr !
I am an electrical engineer by training and trade, I have been involved (at a corporate level) in investigations that have traced a fire back to a particular connection (a screw terminal on a component) if there is a death there are twice as many investigators and it’s 2 to 3 times longer (not sure about this they may just search till they find something) if the component is only available with a UL cert. It’s a slam dunk (also true visa versa with CE).
Risking the value of your £200k house is one thing but risking someone’s life is another. And that’s fine if the premises you are kitting out is never occupied …
Don’t risk it, don’t do it. Apart from anything else, having done it and it goes wrong, how do you sleep ever again ?

Addendum :-
The Z-Wave stick would not be your major concern, that is just an infringement of radio frequency regulations - where you could get a slap on the wrist for possible interference with other certified equipment. The issue is anything connected into your mains circuits. Companies are responsible for the whole connected network, including portable equipment plugged into it - e.g. the radio you take into work - Most companies ban all such equipment, some others allow it subject to incorporation into a PAT scheme.
What you do in your own home is completely up to you, as long as you don’t sell the home without an electrical inspection (NIC CIC in the UK) Some mortgage companies are lax on this others are VERY stringent. So the major issue is the components installed into the ‘mains’ circuits, be they power outlets or lighting, unless it’s only ELV in which case no-one cares - but the ELV is usually powered by LV AND that IS subject to testing. In the UK there are wiring regulations IEE 18th edition (BS7671) these are not ‘statutory instruments’ (they are NOT law, same as ‘the highway code’ covers more than just the mandatory requirements, and failure to comply is usually prosecuted under ‘driving without due care’, ‘reckless driving’ or similar) but should an incident occur (damage to property, loss of life or livestock) then the ‘owner’ of the installation is subject to prosecution, for not following recommended standard practice.
It is also interesting to note that in a domestic situation, as most people have a mortgage, then the mortgage company ‘owns’ your house (has the deed) and therefore will make stipulations as to what you can do to ‘your’ property until you pay off the mortgage. It is common to find clauses in the mortgage documents defining ‘any work undertaken’ as being to ‘best custom and practice’ or ‘industry standard’ and ‘following common safety regulations’.
So a UL certified light-switch would clearly be an infringement in the UK.
Sell the non compliant stuff on eBay to the market where it is certified and buy replacements that do comply.

1 Like