Two Zigbee Home Automation Instances/Hubs

Hi all,

I have just flashed a second Sonoff Zigbee Hub with Tasmota for my garage. The first one operates in the house under the ZHA integration and works perfectly.

I cannot figure out how to deploy the second hub. HA does not allow a second ZHA integration to be set up, and the first one is unique to the first hub (as shown by the IP address).

What I need, I think, is an architecture that allows a single ZHA integration to have two hubs within it, or for multiple instances of ZHA integration be set up.

I would be very grateful for any advice you may have on how I can get to where I want to be. The main use of the garage hub is for door and window sensors which are two far away from the house network.

Many thanks all.

I think you can’t have multiple hubs with ZHA. There are multiple options that come to my mind to overcome your issue.

1. If the Sonoff Zigbee hub works with zigbee2mqtt you can use this alongside with ZHA
  2. Setup a second HA instance in the garage on a Pi or something that communicates with the main instance
  3. Get another zigbee hub that can be used with deconz or zigbee2mqtt
  4. Get some mains powere devices in between the garage amd the other devices in your house that will act as a repeater to extend your zugbee mesh network
1 Like

Genius, thank you.

My final solution was fully inspired by you. I run my primary HA on a VM on a dedicated NUC. The final solution was to spin up a new HA instance on a new VM and add to it just a ZHA integration. From there I used https://github.com/lukas-hetzenecker/home-assistant-remote to connect the two instances and the problem is fully solved! I didn’t even need to get the old Pi3 out of the draw.

Many thanks.

1 Like