UI Password Reset Features

Currently the only method available for resetting a user password is either to ssh into the device and use the password reset script, or to delete the user and re-create the user.

It would be nice to be able to have a password reset option available (preferably only available to admins) that allows an admin to reset the password of a user through the UI.

Bonus features that would make this even better include:

• A generate secure password option (both when creating new users and when resetting passwords)
  • An email password reset button that generates a one time password reset link that is emailed to the user and allows them to reset their password themselves.

We use Home Assistant in our small office and I have 1 or 2 problem employees who can never remember their stupid password. We only have like 15 employees including myself and I find myself deleting and re-creating user accounts for these people like 2-3 times a month. Having a way for me to streamline that process, would be very useful, and a way to email a password reset link to them would be even better.

I would look into the LDAP authentication method, it may do what you want :slight_smile:

I really dont want to setup an LDAP server just for this, unless you can use direct SAML login via GSuite which would be awesome but not as simple as just adding a way to reset passwords from the UI.

Users should be able to self-administer their preferences, including password. Don’t make it admin only. The one time email with a reset token is good for user experience of the workflow.

I need this option today and was very surprised to see the official documentation saying you need to ssh into hassio and delete files :frowning:

1 Like

It seems like the only way to just reset a user password is for that user to log in and change it them selves. When having multiple users in the house and they frequently forget their passwords this makes it a pita to have to delete and recreate users all the time. I hope this will be adressed together with role- and area-based permissions soon :slight_smile: