Unable to move DataDisk to NVMe on Yellow POE 'kit'

New Yellow install, migrated from Blue without issue, unable to move DataDisk from eMMC to NVMe.
I have tried using the GUI to select the NVMe from the dropdown, and it just shows ‘moving’ indefinitely (hours and hours). I have tried from the CLI and it states not a valid data disk target.

Here is the list in the CLI:

Here is the ‘error’ in the CLI:

Here are more pertinent screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.24.58 AM

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.41.06 AM
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.41.18 AM
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.41.27 AM

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.42.21 AM

The GUI never errors out; I have rebooted the entire device and then it’s like I never attempted to move the datadisk.

I have also tried with another compatible NVMe SSD, completely different brand / model.

Any help?

This is a WD PC SN530 NVMe, that came with the Yellow POE ‘kit’ on CrowdSupply.

Thank you!

1 Like

23-03-29 11:17:36 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from a0d7b954_ssh
23-03-29 11:17:36 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] ‘/dev/nvme0’ not a valid data disk target!
23-03-29 11:17:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from a0d7b954_ssh
23-03-29 11:17:52 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] ‘/dev/nvme0n10’ not a valid data disk target!
23-03-29 11:29:55 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] Can’t move data partition to WDC-PC-SN530-SDBPNPZ-256G-22481Y800366:

I am seeing the same thing, on a newly received Home Assistant Yellow POE kit. Using a CM4 8GB 32emmc with Wifi/Bluetooth.

I have tried with two SSDs and I get the same error messages as above, albeit with different drive manufacturers listed. The GUI spins and never completes, and the CLI returns the same os datadisk list of /dev/nvme0n1\0, and the move commmand generates the same error.

The two SSDs tried were:

Crucial 1TB P3 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD CT1000P3SSD8
Samsung 1TB970 EVO PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD MZ-V781T0

Both drives were brand new out of the box. I bought both drives specifically for this project, picking up the Samsung today thinking that maybe this particular Crucial model was the issue and the support site stating that Samsung drives have consistently worked. I welcome any advice.

Multiple reboots, multiple factory resets attempted with the Home Assistant Yellow image.

1 Like

Having the same problem with Home Assistant Yellow POE. Using out of the box WD Blue SN 570 NVNe SSD.

1 Like

Exactly the same issue here on Home Assistant Yellow I received. I bought Samsung SSD 980 1TB S649NL0T950583D. Getting very similar errors (I tried many things - both using UI and command line):

23-03-31 13:40:19 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from core_ssh
23-03-31 13:40:19 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] '/dev/nvme0n1' not a valid data disk target!
23-03-31 13:40:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from core_ssh
23-03-31 13:40:52 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] '/dev/nvme0n1\0' not a valid data disk target!
23-03-31 13:42:11 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from core_ssh
23-03-31 13:42:11 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] '/dev/nvme0n1' not a valid data disk target!
23-03-31 13:42:38 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from core_ssh
23-03-31 13:42:38 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] '/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_980_1TB_S649NL0T950583D' not a valid data disk target!
23-03-31 13:44:25 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /os/datadisk/move access from core_ssh
23-03-31 13:44:25 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.data_disk] Can't move data partition to Samsung-SSD-980-1TB-S649NL0T950583D: 

This is really disappointing, as my main reason to by Yellow was to have nice, supported package that would run off an SSD :frowning: Any hints most welcome!

BTW - running the most recent version:

+1-ing - Yellow POE with a Samsung 980 500GB NVMe SSD. Exactly the same issues as above.

When I try and move the datadisk I get a “not a valid data disk target”. fdisk also can’t open the device.

Hate to be a me too, received my POE Yellow this week but I am not able to move the data disk Crucial CT10000P3SSD8. As others have said this was a feature that was looked well upon. The other thing is it would be great if the whole thing is run off of the SSD too as per the LITE versions of CM4’s as opposed to just the data.

Hi together,
I have the same problem:
I bought the Home Assistant yellow POE Kit and I use it with a RPI CM4 2GB 16GB MMC.
I also installed an brandnew 970 EVO Plus 500GB (MZ-V7S500BW) NVMe on the yellow.
The installation of HA worked perfect and also the restore of my backup from the other Pi. But the move of data to the SSD does not worked. I tried it 3 times yesterday and over night.
They wrote the process needs a long time in depending of the data and setup of HA. OK, I waited 30m and I waited 1hr nothing happend.
I did a factory reset and installed it again. Now I tried to move the data before I restore the backup. But the same happend . I choosed the 970 EVO because they write it on the their page
Does anyone of you has an idea how we can move the data to the SSD?

I am having the same issue as well. I have tried using the UI and CLI to move to a 64gb USB drive and also with a 1tb NVME drive but both receive the same error.

Having his issue with a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo plus as well. Has anyone tried just directly installing onto the SSD by using an NVME to USB C adapter? Then installing the SSD onto the home assistant yellow?

Not something I keep in a toolkit, but definitely going to try creating a partition on it later today in a PC and seeing if that helps.

Just went out and bought a 500GB Samsung 970 Eco Plus MZ-V75500 and it is also failing. The CM4 module I am using is a 4GB RAM, 8GB eMMC with Wifi/BT from Waveshare (CM4104008). I am connected via PoE to a Ubiquiti US-8-60W. This as it stands makes the Yellow worthless.

I ran in to the same issue today, the fix is fairly straight forward.

1. Create and download a full backup of your HA instance.
  2. Activate Advanced Mode
    → Go to the Profile tab in Home Assistant and scroll down to turn on Advanced Mode.
  3. Install the SSH add-on.
  4. From the SSH terminal added in the sidebar I followed this workaround

Now HA running successfully using a Samsung 980

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 23.18.45

Good luck!

2 Likes

Got a NVMe->USB doober and tried initializing the drive then moving the data disk. No bueno, same errors as before. Also created a single exFAT partition and tried again, also no bueno. Current version of HA for Yellow doesn’t seem to work with Samsung 980s. Slightly annoying.

Thanks, @bybram !!!

Thanks @bybram, this did the trick!

So does the Core HA team or the Team that looks after the Yellow hardware, are they aware of this, what is the best way to make them aware of this so people can get this sorted?

Thanks for this… Went through 4 different NVMe drives…

The ticket says it, there will be a beta release with a fix soon. I don’t know how long things typically stay beta, but I assume the fix will soon be available. I personally decided to enable debug SSH and fix it that way. Now I just have to figure out what I’m going to do with a TB of disk on my Yellow…

I have also done it through the terminal, going back to my original 1TB Crucial SSD. Looks like I now and stuck with a spare 500GB Samsung 970. I hate to think how many spares others will have ended up with as part of this issue.