"Unable to Register Application"

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

EDIT: Any more info on the source code? The links inside f-droid only point to the home assistant page.

It’s weird but looks like the programmers are unwilling to change this behaviour even it causes unnecessary issues and support efforts everybody need to pay in time :timer_clock: :moneybag:

Actually it could be even considered funny because this issue was kind of closed because of some time concerns :man_facepalming:

Sorry for the late reply: We have been on vacation.
I think, you’re looking for

3 Likes

I’m also having issues with the companion app on a microg phone (samsung gt-i9505, lineage os 16, android 9).
I tried the “official” app (builds 239 and 241) from the (aurora) app store and ran into all the issues above. to recap:

• executed all the steps in starting fresh
  • could not register the app
  • still had the app in the integration (with 5 entities, all of which except the device_tracker worked, even the geocoded location)
  • did not have the notify.mobile_app_… service, even after restarting hass core

After reading this thread i switched to the Libre Assistant app, which registered without a hitch, but only showed one entity (device_tracker), which didn’t work (or maybe the phone just didn’t have a valid location at that point, can’t tell). It also gave me the notify.mobile_app service, which didn’t work, though. When trying to send a notification I had this in the log:

2020-08-10 18:07:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify] Internal server error, please try again later: You did not send a token!

It should be noted that neither the official nor the libre app show up in my microg-settings in the “Google Cloud Messaging” list, so it’s no surprise that the notification didn’t work.
I should also note that the app on the wife’s phone (Samsung sm-g390f running the stock rom) works flawlessly, including notifications and location updates.

One last thing (probably unrelated): When I looked at the mobile_app integration a short while later, the libre assistant app had magically re-gained the battery and wifi entities, but not the geocoded location (which is also missing from the wife’s app, btw).

Can anybody here make sense of this?

if you are not using a device with google services then you are using the minimal version which means no location tracking or notifications. The app was just split to include a full and minimal version depending on your needs. Check the blog post for more details.

Even if it says 2.1.0-239-full under App Version Info?

I was under the impression that the whole point of microG was to be a drop in replacement for the Google Play Services, just without all the spying.

I imagine that the API provided by microG isn’t perfect when it comes to mimicking the original Google API, but it seems to be good enough for Signal, Accuweather and Netflix (all of which use Google Cloud Messaging) and even (at least some of) Google’s own apps, like Google Maps.
Some apps can get a bit wonky when it comes to accessing Google Play Services, though.

Still, from the App’s point of view the Google Pay Services should be there, even though they are provided by microG instead of Google.

Although that version may install the full flavor is intended for google play services, using anything else would lead to unexpected results. I can’t really speak to anything else but if you are using micro g then you should be using minimal as thats the intended use case.