Unified automations.yaml to edit from GUI

Hi

I’m with HA several years already, always been maintain within YAML (at the beginning it was painful :slight_smile: ).
Once it started to grow, I found it easier to split the configuration and maintain it in different folders:

Now I see more and more GUI abilities to edit the automation and etc and it became much flexible.
But for my current constellation it cannot work case I need to aggregate all my automations into one file (automations.yaml)

Can you share your expirience how do you manage it (I have ~300 automations and ~300 scripts)?

Thanks!

1 Like

Leave your established automations where they are, use the ‘automations.yaml’ for your gui built automations.

The gui will use this file automatically so there’s not a lot of set up required.

This is a very common use case.

Thanks, didn’t know it was possible, but still not good for me.
In this case I always need to be aware where this automation created, for example all my kitchen automations under config/automation/kitchen/*
Now if I will add new automation for kitchen from GUI it will go to global automations.yaml (not the place where I would looking for in case on YAML editing)…
Also if I keep all as is, I will not be able to edit my automations (those in separated folders)…

If you’re creating and editing automations in the ui, it doesn’t matter which file they’re stored in.

You wouldn’t be looking in the files for yaml editing, because you’d be doing it in the ui.

If you don’t want this, then don’t use the ui and this is all a moot point :man_shrugging:

understood :slight_smile:

was looking for a way to be able editing both in yaml (with separate folders) and in GUI…

I’m trying to figure out the exact same thing. I don’t understand why it seems acceptable to folks to have random automations trapped in the UI. I want to be able to use the UI to edit the automations, but when I’m at my desktop doing some serious work organizing and generally working out the fine details of all my automations I need the full suite of automations neatly organized and editable via files so I can do bulk updates with find/replace and that sort of thing. Without this, something dumb like changing the name of an entity becomes an enormous chore and things are broken in strange ways while I hunt down all the instance of the old name.