Update from HA core (Docker) on Linux to a version with supervisor

Hey! I installed HA via docker instructions to a Linux (Ubuntu) box last month. Since I have other things running on that box I couldn’t do the OS option.

However, now I feel I would have done better with a version with Supervisor. So am I screwed? I don’t want to lose all of my configurations I’ve done over the last month. I like that supervisor has backup/restore options, GUI upgrade options, add-on store, etc. So is there a way of upgrading to or adding supervisor? It sounded like there might have been an option but it was deprecated maybe?

Do forgive me. I know this has to have been asked before, but I googled for what must have been an hour and all I found was alternative scenarios (VMs, RasPi, etc etc). I found a few questions that sounded like they were asking the same thing, but the responses never answered the question in the end.

Thanks guys :sunglasses:

Copy all your yaml files and use them once you install HA OS. You will likely need a bunch of json files from .storage too but I’m overly sure of what exactly.

No

If you want want to keep your current Ubuntu install, the only way you can run the Supervisor is by either running HAOS or HA Supervised in a VM as HA Supervised is not supported on Ubuntu, only Debian 10.

1 Like

Thank you! It wasn’t the answer I was hoping for, but I was mostly sure it was the answer I was going to get (and a solid answer regardless).

Looks like I will continue as-is for now then as that box won’t be powerful enough to do VM inside of Linux (it’s just a Byte3 Mini PC). I may swap the drive to a better mini PC in the coming months. I don’t want to start another on top of the current as that would just be a waste of energy.

I can do without most of the stuff on the box (replaced with other solutions), but there is no way I am dropping PiHole from that box. So I’ll just have to wait till I upgrade. :slight_smile:

*/!\ A word of caution: this is not an official migration path and you might run into unexpected issues /!*

The configuration is stored at /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant in HA Supervised.
The steps are quite simple:

Pre-requisites:

1. Upgrade HA on your Docker instance to the latest version available.
  2. Install the latest HA Supervised and make a ‘first run configuration’ (ie make sure the instance is reachable, create a username, check that HA works as intended).
  3. Check that your Docker and Supervised instances run the same version of HA.

Migration:

1. Stop HA.
  2. On the Supervised instance, backup /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant and rename it to whatever you like.
  3. Copy the config directory from your Docker instance to /usr/share/hassio/ on your Supervised instance. Rename it: homeassistant. There are hidden files in the config directory, so make sure to copy the directory and not its content.
  4. Restart HA.
  5. Login with the credentials from your Docker instance.
  6. Check that all works as intended. If yes, remove the renamed directory from step 3.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

That being said, the differences between the Container and Supervised installs are Snapshots, Add-ons store and the Supervisor. All these features can be reproduced on a containerized version of HA:

• Snpashots: backup your config dir.
  • Add-ons: can be installed manually with added flexibility (ie nodered, InfluxDB, MariaDB, Grafana… can be used with other applications than HA.
  • Supervisor: that’s you as a sysadmin.
1 Like