Update to HA 0.111.1: "Configuration validation" animation never stops & “Home Assistant is starting, not everything will be available until it is finished”

Hi all

I have installed 0.111.1 but have some issues.
Have been running HA since 0.9x and updating the same way every time.

At first HA was not accessible (at least the webGUI) but after running the installation again, this got solved.
After that, I’m getting the message “Home Assistant is starting, not everything will be available until it is finished”.
I have rebooted the container a few times and sometimes that message disappears and sometimes it re-appears.

Log:

2020-06-12 00:00:06 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Ended unfinished session (id=169 from 2020-06-11 21:03:05.021896)
2020-06-12 00:00:09 ERROR (SyncWorker_5) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package hass-nabucasa==0.34.6: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/certifi-2020.4.5.1.dist-info/INSTALLER'
Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.
2020-06-12 00:00:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for cloud: Requirements for cloud not found: ['hass-nabucasa==0.34.6'].
2020-06-12 00:00:12 ERROR (SyncWorker_16) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package netdisco==2.7.0: hass-nabucasa 0.34.2 has requirement pytz~=2019.3, but you'll have pytz 2020.1 which is incompatible.
Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/certifi-2020.4.5.1.dist-info/INSTALLER'
Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.
2020-06-12 00:00:12 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for ssdp: Requirements for ssdp not found: ['netdisco==2.7.0'].
2020-06-12 00:00:14 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.knx] Can't connect to KNX interface: No Gateways found
2020-06-12 03:12:15 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Fatal read error on socket transport
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 801, in _read_ready__data_received
    data = self._sock.recv(self.max_size)
TimeoutError: [Errno 110] Connection timed out
2020-06-12 03:16:37 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Fatal read error on socket transport
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 801, in _read_ready__data_received
    data = self._sock.recv(self.max_size)
TimeoutError: [Errno 110] Connection timed out

I haven’t done aything regarding nabucasa/cloud configuration so don’t know where that comes from.
The KNX error is normal atm, so to be ignored.
For the other errors, I don’t have a clue how to handle those.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Nick

That message is quite normal on 0.111.x, the webui gets loaded before all entities are initialized. Just wait a little and it will disappear.

Hi francisp!

I know that it’s kind of normal but it stayed quite a long time.
This morning when checking on my tablet, it was still there and it’s on an off (after rebooting).

My setup was working fine before this update, it seems that something is not right:

• the configuration validation keeps turning, changing colors all the time
  • Invalid config/notification -> the following integrations and platforms could not be set up: ‘cloud’ & ‘ssdp’
  • the History & Logbook remain empty.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Nick

I have the same issue as well, i suggest commenting out Sensor, lights etc and then restarting , each time it starts, update the config to add more, till it breaks, then narrow down from there, that is what i will be doing tonight.

Mo

Hi boywiz!

I tried it that way: removed all modifications from configuration.yaml but no difference.
Hope you have more luck…

Nick

I have no specific advice, but a few generic suggestions. Sorry that this is very basic, but when all else fails sometimes that’s where you have to start.

YAML is very sensitive to white space. For example, make sure you use spaces, not tabs. Also, if you edited it in Windows or something else, make sure the file was saved in the proper format (UNIX, UTF-8). Make sure quoted strings and other such code fragments are terminated properly. These are they kinds of things which cause the configuration.yaml file, or large parts of it, to become unreadable by HA.

1 Like

Hi CaptTom, thanks for trying to help!
In my case, nothing in my YAML files has been changed in between of the update: a working config stopt working after updating and even emptying my config file didn’t improve things…
Nick

Bypassed this problem by reinstalling…

It’s not the end of the world but it’s a pity that I could not find a real solution or any help was given so that in the future someone with the same problem would benefit from it.

I don’t find this a solution at all. I cannot afford to reinstall, I meticulously created my config and this is clearly a bug because nothing had changed after the update, configuration validation worked before but now it spins and spins and it never ends. I also no longer can use the button to stop or restart, it just doesn’t do anything…

Hi

I can’t really help you with your current problem, notice my low mileage with HA.
My setup allows me to take snapshots from my system and since the experience mentioned in this topic, that’s what I do before every big change.

By using Samba to access/edit the configuration files & by splitting configuration.yaml, my setup also became more failproof with the ability to copy these files to another machine.
I would advice you to look for a way to not have to rely that much on the running instance of HA without having some kind of backup plan.

HA has, in my experience, a steep learning curve and one can get frustrated when things break and you get stuck while you have automated some (non)-trivial stuff in the house.

Just my 2c
Nick