Upgrading Homeassistant questions

I’ve been running HA for quite some time, originally on a RPi, and have been running 0.103.0 for some time and I’m working through upgrading my way to the latest version. I just worked through migrating it to a new Ubuntu 20.04 LTS VM with Python 3.8 and then upgraded it to 2021.10.0. It’s working fine except I have a few entities that just won’t go away (they show up as ‘Entity not available:’). One was a dead ZWave switch that I finally decided to remove, and the other is an orphaned entity that just re-appeared after upgrading from 0.103.0 to 2021.10.0. I’ve removed them everywhere I could find them, but they’re not disappearing from the Lovelace overview. How do I get these to go away?

Next question is if I decide I want to move over to either OS or Supervised, can I move everything, including history, over to the new install?

And last (for now), and possible most importantly, I’m using a Aeotec ZStick 5 on a RPi that’s only functioning as a USB interface for the Home Assistant VM, passing the ZStick over to the Ubuntu VM by way of USBIP. First, is there a way to implement that with OS or Supervised, and/or does anyone know of a more robust way to do this? USBIP works pretty well, but if there’s any communication glitch or if the Ubuntu machine doesn’t shut down gracefully, the Pi must be rebooted for it to accept connections. Is there a better way to do this that can gracefully recover from interruptions?

Just copy your config directory over, including the hidden files and directories.

Switch to ZwaveJS or ZWaveJS2MQTT. No need to use USBIP anymore, it uses websockets.

If you click on the entity when the more-info pop up opens, click on the settings gear in the top right.

does it give you an option to remove the entity from there in the bottom right?

Problem is there’s nothing to click:

Screenshot 2022-01-08 130300

I’ve removed it everywhere I can find but this persists.

Is the problem that it’s showing up the Lovelace card but not anywhere else?

If so how do you configure your Lovelace views? UI, yaml, auto-generated?

Not sure I follow… How would I present the USB device that’s plugged into the RPi over the network to the VMWare VM without USBIP? If there’s a way to present it over the network in some way that’s efficient, robust and low write, I’m all ears, but I’d like the RPi with the stick to essentially be ‘dumb’ - doing no more then providing simple connectivity to the ZStick over the network to the VM.

Essentially, yes. The one I put is the one that was a dead device that I removed from the entities. restarting services and even the entire machine doesn’t get rid of it from Lovelace. Traditionally, I’ve always edited the yaml files - as non-proficient as I tend to be at CLI Linux, I got pretty comfortable editing the yaml files directly. Still haven’t really fully figured out how the new ZWave registry works compared to the old way that was a flat file that could be edited lol. That’s why I’m somewhat hesitant to go to one of the newer methods, although I’d like the full feature suite. At this point, I’d kind of like to retain the ability to SFTP the yaml files out, edit them and send them back. I’m a creature of habit lol.

As far as maybe moving to OS, how would I do so? It doesn’t appear to be anything like a regular Linux OS, and doesn’t seem to accept SSH/SFTP connections to allow me to transfer the files over…

Ok, I’m a bit confused now…we seem to be talking about too many issues.

First let’s stay with the missing entities that are showing up in your lovelace display and try to get that resolved.

Do you configure lovelace via the UI, yaml mode or auto-generated?

And do you currently have access to be able to edit your config files including hidden files?

The current Lovelace interface was generated automatically after I upgraded from 103. Any configuration I’ve done has been directly to the yaml files, but I’ve never really changed anything in the lovelace interface other than grouping things by way of the groups.yaml and hiding groups by way of the ‘customize.yaml’, which appears to no longer be relevant. As it’s running on Ubuntu 20.04, I have full access to everything. Obviusly, I have a lot to learn about how things work in HA compared to how they worked when I started using it years ago. I got pretty comfortable at editing yaml files and such for configuration, and then the rug got pulled out from under me lol.

in the top right corner of your lovelace UI do you see three dots?

open that up and select “edit dashboard”.

then select to take control of the UI.

once you do that you should be able to edit the dashboard to get rid of the missing entities.

But you will also always have to manage the dashboard yourself from now on and nothing will automatically be added anymore after that.

Thanks, That worked to get rid of the orphans. I didn’t have a ‘take control’, but that may have been because I had done that last night to try and figure it out.

OK, good.

What do you want to try to tackle next?

Installing Zwave JS or ZwaveJS2MQTT on your Pi is anything but having a ‘dumb’ Pi, it would provide a bridge between your stick and HA using your Pi. It is a robust solution, but if you prefer your Pi ‘dumb’ it might not be for you.

Not sure. If I delete cards from the UI, does that leave the underlying functions in place? For example, there are a few groups that are now present that were hidden for things like groups of lights that should be turned off when my alarm is armed, or lights that should turn on if the alarm is set off at night, etc, that don’t need to be visible. Can I just delete the cards?

I’m open to giving it a shot… Can it be set up in a low write or even with the filesystem R/O? The main drawback to the current USBIP setup is it’s really sensitive to interruptions, and if the client doesn’t cleanly disconnect, the Pi needs to be restarted because it basically locks up the USBIP service so it won’t accept any connections.

Back when you started with HA the UI used groups to create the cards from.

Now the UI cards and groups are completely functionally disconnected.

you can create cards without any groups at all. And the “view:” option in the groups have been deprecated ever since lovelace became the default UI.

yes

I’m not sure what “low write” means but as far as read-only filesystem that won’t work because zwavejs needs access to the FS to create DBs, write logs, etc.

Hmm… I’d probably have to get high endurance cards then. The problem is I’ve burned out several SD cards (used up the write endurance) across the three HA installations I have running, which is part of why I switched to HA being in a VMware VM and the Pi just being a bridge between the ZStick and the VMWare VM.

I think my next step will be getting ZWave migrated over to ZWaveJS as is using the virtually attached ZStick, and then once I have that figured out, probably upgrade further, and then maybe look into an alternate way of connecting the ZStick, such as ZWaveJS running on the Pi or something.

zwavejs is not HA.

While I don’t know for certain but I would guess that zwavejs is not nearly as hard on SD cards as HA.

But of course I could be wrong.