Upgrading the Apple TV integration from the beta to the rewritten bundled version

I would like to check this so that I don’t cause unnecessary work or trouble for myself:

I’ve been running the beta version for a while and even though I’m on the latest HA (2021.1.5) I haven’t taken the time to switch back to the bundled integration (because it’s been working just fine).

Is it as simple as removing the beta installation from HACS and then adding it via the normal integrations route (in that specific order)? Do I need to repair my Apple TV with HA and will the entity ID change?

I had the same set-up. The beta was working great but I knew I needed to upgrade to the standard. Now I did… and it went pretty good.
What I did:

• Uninstall the beta from HACS
  • Restart Home Asisstant
  • Check the entities, the system will create a new media_player* and a new remote.* for every apple tv you have
  • I removed the original entities (stated as unavailable)
  • I renamed the new entities (_2) to the original name

since all is working as before.

Thanks for this great integration!! @postlund

1 Like

Thank you, Bert. This is very helpful.

At which point did you install the new integration? After bullet #4?

Good to know it helped :slight_smile:
I didn’t install a new integration,
because after the restart it seemed the standard integration had taken over.

After switching to official integration, apple tv stops netflix and goes to main menu after few seconds.
When I remove official integration netflix works fine.
I’m using HA 2021.2.3.
Anyone with similar problem?

I’ve just been searching to report/follow up with the same issue

noticed the ‘streaming stopping’ on Prime, Netflix and ATV+ ever since installing 14.5 beta 1, was hoping it was just a beta thing and that beta 2 would fix things…alas it did not…

I, therefore, did a full reset of the ATV4K device (I’ve got multiples and all with the beta on had the same issue). After the reset, the “streaming stopping” issue was fully resolved, the only thing that was different was that I hadn’t pushed the Apple TV integration through on HASS…it shows the TV as a discovered unit though,

So I did configure one of the TVs and instantly the “stopping streaming” issue was back…just removing the configured tv from the list didn’t seem to make a difference…I did restart though…but I ran another rest on the device in question…then once back, it is working as expected…so holding off on putting this instance of the Apple tv back on for now…thankfully I think that the Plex integration still works…

Strangely this never affected Plex playback although I guess it’s not strictly streaming, at least not via the internet as it’s coming from within my LAN.

I have for now just monitored plex for its usage on a conditional card…I only switched to monitoring the AppleTV itself (so I could monitor what is being viewed on each stremaing service) come to think of it recently so it’s possible that just that element is what’s causing the issue…will try removing that as well to see if that affects things after adding Apple TV entity back in voa integration