Using voice commands to make phone calls

Hello,

I have been using HA for over 2 years now and I am loving it. It’s been a huge help for us as a family. My mother has Benson disease which makes any physical interactions with objects very hard. Alexa and shelly switches around the house controlled with HA have made a huge difference. What a time to be alive.

Now we would like to allow her to make phone calls by her own and respond to the phone. She used to be able to respond to phone calls as she could find the phone by sound. But now holding the phone is becoming an issue so we also need her to be able to take a call using voice commands.
At first I thought that an Android phone with google assistant would work, but it’s more complicated:

• First of all, it can’t be configured to default to speaker, so it still requires her to interact with the device, it also won’t allow her to receive an incoming call without interaction.
  • The second issue is that the phone might not be in the same room as her.

We were hoping through Bluetooth to stream the phone call to the Alexa device, and use the Alexa device to allow her to make calls. But according to documentation I have found the only way to achieve this is to use the Amazon VOIP service which doesn’t exist in our country. We can’t use services such as What’s App or Telegram because any person she might need to call probably don’t use any of those apps.

So I am writing here because I was hoping for ideas. I am a software developper so even if the solution is tricky and requires adjustement I can look into it. I have even started looking into developing an Android app that would add endpoints that Alexa could control to make phone calls. But all this not being in my field it will probably take me quite a bit of time(don’t even know where to start); and I am surprised no one had this issue before.

Thank you,

If you Android device have jack connector, then you can connect speakers and microphone I to that.
You might need a headset jack with a splitter to speaker and microphone, but that should be easy enough to make if you can’t find it already made.
The Android device will just think it’s a headset that is connected.

And look up rhasspy and see if that can help you

not sure if possible but have a look at Tasker, it might help you achieve what you’re after…