VirtualBox Issues

Been running HomeAssistant for a couple months now on a VM in VirtualBox, love it and we’ve come to rely on it for a bunch of stuff. Installed a windows update last night (which turned out to be huge) on the host and now my HomeAssistant VM won’t boot. Incase it was corrupted I tried setting up a new VM with a fresh version of the latest HomeAssistant image, which also does not boot. I tried both the VDI and the VMDK Converted to VDI and VHD via virtual box.

I already tried uninstalling the updates, and I don’t have a recovery point as I only had 10GB assigned which I guess wasn’t enough. Ive increased this, but that won’t help with this problem.

The Fresh image gets stuck at “Loading MS-DOS executable ‘/mnt/system/bzImage’”. I double checked that core isolation/memory integrity is disabled and I didn’t touch the bios, any other windows settings that can cause this? Driving me up the wall.

Hi Mark,

Did the update enable Hyper-v or WSL (Virtual machine platform) ?

Open up windows features and disable if you’re not using them

2 Likes

There is also a tool that allows you to switch between Hyper-V and VBox/VMware

1 Like

Yeah - seen that before, unfortunately it’s just a wrapper around bcdedit which ultimately requires you to reboot on every switch.

Yup, reboot is unfortunately required.
But at least with the tool it’s just one click :face_with_monocle:

Thanks guys, that’s exactly what happened, the windows update somehow re-enabled Hyper-V… I definitely didn’t do anything that would have caused that. I used BCDEdit to disable it, perhaps I should have used the UX.

I actually checked the windows features before and the Hyper-V option was disabled, but the Virtual Machine Platform was enabled, I assume VirtualBox doesn’t use the Virtual Machine Platform? I had assumed it was important.

my old HomeAssistant instance was corrupted because of this too, but thankfully the snapshot recovery works flawlessly! I’m back online, thanks a bunch.

1 Like

Yeah this confuses a lot of people, the Virtual Machine Platform is essentially WSL and what I have been arguing with people explaining to my learned friends is that it has a dependency on Hyper-V components despite windows linux not being visible within the Hyper-V manager.

WSL is more or less like a hidden Hyper-V VM

Good luck, glad you resolved the problem

1 Like

Yeah it sounds like you are 100% correct, Microsoft should have called it what it is instead of making it sound like a generic framework for virtualization. I’m guessing the “update” I got actually added WSL2, which in turn enables a hidden hyperV behind the scenes as you say. I can confirm this as “bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” is the command I ran that fixed my issues, and the “Virtual Machine Platform” feature was actually still enabled. I just turned it off.