Vizio component suddenly stopped working

Anyone else having issues. I have not updated HA, I just saw this in my logs today. Even went and recreated an access token just in case it changed for some reason. Maybe a vizio update??

2018-11-15 17:14:15 ERROR (SyncWorker_13) [pyvizio.vizio] Failed to execute command: Failed to parse response: b'<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">\n<html><head>\n<title>Unhandled Exception</title>\n</head><body>\n<h1>Unhandled Exception</h1>\n<p>An unhandled exception was thrown by the application.</p>\n</body></html>\n'
2018-11-15 17:14:15 ERROR (SyncWorker_13) [homeassistant.components.media_player.vizio] Failed to set up Vizio TV platform, please check if host and API key are correct

I noticed exactly the same issue. My model is a M55-D0. I’ll check tonight to see if I have had a firmware update (e.g. to v5).

I think Vizio are pushing out an update https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/comments/9t2qtc/new_firmware_50141_released_for_the_2016_and_2017/ although I can’t see anything in the changelog about api changes.

Yep. Looks like I have updated to firmware 5.0.14.1. Maybe that is the culprit.

I would just like to report I am also having the same problem with my Vizio TV. Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like they changed/removed the api endpoint for getting the current volume. I reported it to the author of pyvizio.

You can get it working (minus volume control) by adding the Vizio component as a custom component and changing the validate_setup to always return a true result instead of checking volume.

1 Like

I’m not yet familiar enough with python. Would you mind sharing the details on how to do this?

Appreciate it if you have the time

See fix below

Here’s a better fix, Just toss this file in your config directory under custom_components/media_player/

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/photinus/HomeAssistant/master/custom_components/media_player/vizio.py

I made a pull request to fix the pyvizio library, will probably take some time to make it’s way through to home assistant. This just takes the stock vizio.py and references my updated version of pyvizio

1 Like

It should be fixed in 0.84.1

1 Like

The vizio component does seem to be “working” since the last update, but my logs are being flooded several times a minute with this now

“updating vizio media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10”

I may have had a message or two in the past, but since the last update it’s most of the time now. Anyone else seeing this?

Bump: Just wondering if anyone else is getting the

updating vizio media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10 

errors filling up the logs. It does not happen immediately after a restart, but when I check the logs later I realize I have 1000’s of entries, usually 3-4 per minute.

Yep, having this same issue. A few days ago this started happening and Home Assistant always thinks my TV is off even when it’s on. I’m running 0.83.3, but I didn’t update recently so I’m not sure what caused this.

Another thing to note is that HA can still turn my display on and off with commands. Seems like it just doesn’t know the status.

Not sure if this helps, but I tried to pair my TV again with pyvizio and I got this (line breaks added for readability)

ERROR:pyvizio.vizio:Failed to execute command:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='%7b192.168.xx.xx%7d', port=7345): 
Max retries exceeded with url: /pairing/start 
(Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x75fb9150>: 
Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',))

Not entirely sure how this component works, but I know that in the past Vizio has changed the pairing port number. Maybe that happened again?

Wow… following up on this, the reason I was getting that error was because I was including curly braces around the parameters while I was doing the pairing command. The pairing command still works.

I am also having problems with the updating vizio media_player taking to long, and the status being stuck to off. If I run the pyvizio power command, I get a the correct response that the tv is off.

I hate to be a ‘me too’ post but I wanted to bump this topic as my vizio setup is having this same issue and I’m on hassio 0.87.1.

I have something simliar… I managed to successfully pair the Vizio component but after I rebooted my machine a few days later, I’m getting a simliar NewConnectionError

Failed to execute command: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='192.168.86.25', port=7345): Max retries exceeded with url: /menu_native/dynamic/tv_settings/audio/volume (Caused by NewConnectionError('&lt;urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f37782962e8&gt;: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 113] No route to host'))

Running HA 0.88.2 with Docker on Ubuntu 18.04 using an Intel NUC