VPN outbound through my ISP

My ISP (HughesNet satellite Internet) chokes throughput to github. I can’t complete a single update. They always time out. This is a well-known problem with HughesNet. Unfortunately, they are the only solution available to me in my location. (No, Starlink won’t work. There’s a mountain in the way).

I’m not looking for a way to tunnel into my HASS instance. I’m looking for a way to sneak through my ISP to get a reliable connection to GitHub. I’d be content for it to be a temporary solution that I turn on only for updates.

Questions have been asked before about this, so this is something of a repeat. I’m just hoping that something has come along in the meantime that might help.

I am running HAOS on a bare metal amd64.

You’re on the right track that you’ll probably want to use a VPN. A VPN does two things: 1. Encrypt traffic to make it https (so they cannot throttle a specific protocol) 2. Act as a proxy (all traffic goes to the VPN provider’s server as far as your ISP is concerned).

To set up your VPN, there are two options:

1. Set it up on a device level. This will depend on your type of installation what’s possible, if you can interact with the Linux shell you should be able to install a VPN client.
  2. Set it up on your router. By default all traffic will be routed through the VPN, but on most routers that can use a VPN should have the ability to create some routing rules.

The easiest is probably going to be the first option. You should just look for a VPN that can be installed on Linux, and follow their instructions. Some VPN providers give a certain amount of traffic for free (but sometimes throttle it as well…).
I can’t give any specific recommendations because I’m simply not familiar with these services.

I disagree. You’re not going to be able to hide the amount of traffic you move from your ISP. In fact, the VPN will simply increase the traffic (due to encapsulation overhead) and you’ll be throttled that much sooner. Sorry, there is no free lunch.

I’m curious about your Starlink comment, however. Since they are LEO satellites, I’m not sure how a mountain influences the operation. Starlink dishes track satellite across the sky, horizon to horizon. There are usually multiple satellites visable at any given time. They don’t operate like geo-synchronous satellites that always appear at the same spot, like your Hughes Net birds.

The post mentioned traffic to github specifically was being throttled. I’m not sure what the state of net neutrality in the US is right now, but I believe they can do this in some states.

I agree, there is no way to magically reduce the amount of data being transferred, but a VPN does hide where that data is going, if that’s the concern.

It’s not the amount of traffic, it’s github specifically. There are probably other sites as well, but github is the only one I have struggled with. It could also be that github is throttling traffic from HughesNet. Since all customers are behind carrier-grade NAT, we all appear to be just a small number of IP’s. Thus we all get punished for the behavior of just a few customers. If I can exit a VPN tunnel to somewhere in the Internet’s topolgy outside of my ISP, then I should be OK. It won’t magically improve my overall Internet performance, but it will improve my performance to github. I can confirm this by running a VPN and my workstations and seeing significant improvement.

I’m running HAOS on bare metal. I can get at the Linux shell, but won’t any modifications I make get wiped out by the next OS upgrade? It’s my understanding that tinking with HAOS under the hood is just going to cause grief. That’s why I’m hoping there’s an AddOn that facilitates an outbound VPN connection.

As for Starlink, it needs a view of the northern sky. My view of the North is a mountain. It’s not something that is on the horizon. It’s the rest of the mountain that I live on. I have a view of the South, hence HughesNet in geosync orbit, but no Starlink.