WallPanel for Android [Formerly HomeDash]

Do you just leave the screen on? I only want the screen to be on if motion is detected, but I couldn’t figure out how to make that happen without the screen being locked on wake up. Can you post more info on your settings?

I can block the screen from locking altogether with WallPanel, I just don’t want it to show all the time. These cheap tablets are perfect for this use, but of course Amazon makes this difficult…

1 Like

Sorry, yes. I leave the screen on. I have one in the kitchen and another in a hallway so the dimly lit screen serves as a nightlight. I have not tried the motion detection.

Tried. Shows the stillpicture in the view. Clicking the view shows the stream for 5 minutes but breaks the view and then the stream stops showing. The view never returns as OK again (“Error loading image”) aka Max streams exceeded i guess :confused:

Sorry, I’ve never tried to view it for a longer period. Maybe it has some issues during long session.

It breaks the “view” in HA groupview first thing when i push the feed to view the stream also. Non-dependant on period :confused:

@quadportnick Just wanted to second the request to implement brightness changes on motion trigger as an option. It would also be great if brightness could be controlled through the api so the screen state could be controlled through external motion sensors.

I’m just getting a white screen when I try to go to my dashboard. I’m assuming this is SSL related since I’m using the local LAN IP instead of the domain name that I have an SSL cert for? Does that seem accurate?

I just installed the latest WallPanel release a newly delivered Amazon Fire 7" tablet; the price was just too good to pass up on Prime day…

Seems to be working. The Fire 7 doesn’t seem to have much in the way of fancy sensors to report, at least that I’ve seen so far. Just battery and motion sensors. I set it up to keep the screen from sleeping, and that seems to be working. As someone else suggested, it would be nice to have screen dimming in combination with this feature. Ideally, triggered by motion detection or some API call.

Streaming MJPEG in a browser window seems to work (and I have the front camera configured for use.)

One thing that I wasn’t able to see working was QR code detection. I don’t see any MQTT messages posted when I hold a fairly simple and easily recognizable QR code in front of the camera. I don’t actually have a specific purpose in mind for this yet, though it does sound rather clever.

Installing it on the Fire 7 was pretty easy. I did have to restart the tablet after changing the state of the “allow non appstore apps” switch (or whatever it was called…) After doing that it, I was able to installed it right away. There’s no other installed apps I’ve put on, nor done any rooting or anything else beyond the stock tablet. While no speed demon, I think it’s going to be well worth the $35…

Thanks for building this software; this will be be a nice and sharp looking addition to my home automation setup and probably will pass the wife test :slight_smile:

1 Like

@quadportnick Thanks for the Great app working nicely with my Amazon Fire 7". I made a nice frame to put it on the wall and it looks good with HADashboard running. Iam using the camera motion to wake up the panel but it goes to the lock screen @oakbrad I would also like to see the dim to 5% then wake to 100% for daytime use and wake to 50% for nighttime use. Is this possible?

Sorry to ask again.

1 Like

HA camera:

camera 1etg_gang:
  platform: mjpeg
  mjpeg_url: http://192.168.66.49:2971/camera/stream
  name: 1. Etg Gang Camera
2017-07-16 22:07:32 WARNING (SyncWorker_12) [requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool] Failed to parse headers (url=http://192.168.66.49:2971/camera/stream): [StartBoundaryNotFoundDefect(), MultipartInvariantViolationDefect()], unparsed data: ''
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 398, in _make_request
    assert_header_parsing(httplib_response.msg)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/util/response.py", line 66, in assert_header_parsing
    raise HeaderParsingError(defects=defects, unparsed_data=unparsed_data)
requests.packages.urllib3.exceptions.HeaderParsingError: [StartBoundaryNotFoundDefect(), MultipartInvariantViolationDefect()], unparsed data: ''

Not sure how to attack this. Anyone else know how mjpeg works?

Try

camera:
  platform: mjpeg
  mjpeg_url: http://192.168.66.49:2971/camera/stream
  name:  Etg Gang Camera

Great app! I have one suggestion - would it be possible to auto start it when the tablet is idle? The use case is to have WallPanel active in normal circumstances, but sometimes use the tablet for other purposes (looking up a recipe when cooking, for instance). When the user has is done and leaves the tablet, WallPanel should come back again automatically.

I also have issues getting the app to run on an old rooted Asus Eee Pad TF101 (KatKiss ROM with Android 6.0.1, Chrome not available), it just crashes on startup. Is there anything I can do to investigate this further?

1 Like

I have a problem with the app on my note 2014 which runs android 7.1.2. The app works, but every url that i enter i get a white screen no loading page nothing :confused:

Im currently having the same issues on a galaxy tab s2

I’m getting “0: Error 1: Error” when selecting a camera on a cheap tablet with android 6.0.1.

Also it would be great to add iBeacon support, as far as I could tell it shouldn’t be difficult to do and could be very useful for those planning to use multiple tablets around the house combined with owntracks.

Great app btw!

1 Like

I’m getting the same thing on a Google Nexus 7.

Hey guys. Thanks for the kind words. I’m sorry I’ve been quite absent on this. Life has thrown up some challenges for me. If there’s anyone who wants to actively help out on this codebase I’d appreciate that. Don’t want to let the project/domain go to waste! I hope to return to it soon

7 Likes

I’m using 2 x nexus 7 2012 with no problems. I have found anything past KitKat 4.4.4 to require too much maintence to be usable.

Currently have both my tablets on Slimkat 4.4.4 rom.

I am using Android version 0.6.1. (latest), it is not working with SSL for me, I only see a blank white screen anytime I am trying to launch the HA (or any website) with SSL. I tried on different devices with the same result. First I tried with self signed SSL than I read maybe the Android webview has issues with Self signed SSL, so I bought an SSL certificate, but the result is the same.

Maybe the solution can be found on this link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7416096/android-webview-not-loading-an-https-url

and only these lines have to be inserted:

@Override
public void onReceivedSslError(WebView view, SslErrorHandler handler, SslError error) {
handler.proceed(); // Ignore SSL certificate errors
}

Max streams exceeded. Same issue here. Did you ever solved it?