WallPanel for Android Redux

Not yet. I’ll try and find an app to show me sensors or a specs sheet.

OK, give 0.8.1-beta.6 a try, its rolling out to Google Play and on Github release section. It has a setting to change the FPS but I have my doubts this will help.

Beta 6? just have beta 5 appear on my device.

Takes a while to hit all the Google Servers.

1 Like

BTW my beard has no impact on the image :wink:

I am jealous of its fullness.

1 Like

You’ll be pleased to hear taking it down to 5 fps greatly improves the brightness of the image and face detection is working as expected in low(er) light :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick update and release on this. I also noticed the battery fix you made, will also test it out and report back.

Oh and seems this tablet has zero extra sensors.

Wow, I guess that really is a bargain tablet. I am so glad we are back on track. Now how about the battery drain. I made some adjustments to see if I could lower the processing of the images. Maybe check that over night.

1 Like

Yes, this problem where the dashboard URL changes when a popup occurs is the possible issue I mentioned. It looks like a general problem with WallPanel handling of popups/redirects, nothing specific to user agents or the google authorization popup.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification @WazWaz looks like it’s back to you @thanksmister not sure if you can have a look at the way WallPanel plays with popup windows at all. Many thanks in advance.

Well I’m not sure what you did but it seems to have improved.

How is it suppose to handle popups? If you look at HASS dashboard in the WallPanel application, popups show up as expected.

Before I was using the Google Vision API to check for motion, qrcodes, face detection and also MJPEG streaming and only reporting those if the option was on. Now I only initialize the features requested, so if the user doesn’t have face detection on, it won’t initialize that as part of the Google Vision API. Also, since you have not sensors on your device, you can disable that feature to save more battery power.

1 Like

You are probably also getting some improvement from reduced FPS. The original WallPanel was blocking the main UI thread and it couldn’t process images fast. You can see a visible lag on the camera test (on faster devices). I made a change so that you can get up to 30 FPS depending on your device which would probably eat more battery but it would improve motion and face detection as well as mjpeg streaming. I hear Amazon Fire Tablets make good devices and are cheap.

1 Like

So if I have the sensors turned off it will still send battery, motion and face detection to HA?

Yeah, you would lose battery. Sensor means device sensor/readings. Motion and face detection are related to just the camera and Google Vision API. I tried to separate these out in the updated docs as well. So you would lose battery readings.

1 Like

Under sensors it doesn’t mention battery in the list. Would it be useful to add this? Also maybe a switch to turn off sensors that aren’t needed?

You are correct, the battery is not considered a sensor of the device (the way you get lists of sensors using Google API) but its bundled in the sensor reader so turning off sensors would disable the battery. I doubt its going to save you any battery juice disable sensors, its not intensive to receive that information from the device. There is no extra work really on my part to subscribe to one or the other, but good catch on the battery, I might make this separate in the future. Do you have daydream or black screen on your device when it sleeps? That could save a lot of juice as well (not panel related).

I have it set to display off when in sleep mode, I think the overheads of a screen saver would be too much in my situation what with the tablet not constancy on charge.