Weird issue trying to control a z-wave plug with a z-wave switch

Hi, I am having a weird issue trying to use a GoControl WA00Z-1 Scene Switch to control a Minoston Z-Wave Smart Plug that shows up as an Inovelli Z-Wave plug in Home Assistant.

I have set up an automation to toggle the plug when I press the switch. Everytime I execute the automation manually, it toggles the plug immediately. And every time I press the switch, the automation’s last execution timestamp gets updated immediately. But pressing the switch still won’t get the plug to be toggled, or will do it after a long delay.

I also own another WA00Z-1 switch that I normally use to control a Wi-Fi smart bulb, and it works perfectly. Yet, If I try to use that switch to control the smart plug instead, I have the exact same issue.

So I did a little experiment: I disabled my automation, and toggled the plug repeatedly from the Home Assistant dashboard, while pressing the WA00Z-1 once in a while. I noticed that the toggling of the plug works at all times, except when I just pressed the switch. So is it possible that the two Z-wave devices are causing some kind of interference that are preventing them to work at the same time? Or am I missing something else?

I tried another Z-wave smart plug with the same switch, and got similar results.

Did you pair the switches directly to the scene switch also? As “associations” ? I did not pair anything directly to mine, and just use the scene event in HA to control the lights… (sorry if not clear, I’m at work I can look at my automation more shortly)

You are being perfectly clear :slight_smile: and no, I haven’t created associations. I just use the scene event in HA to control the smart plug.

Can you post your automations?

This is an automation for which I have the problem described in my post (not with the Minoston smart plug, but with the other smart plug that I used to do a second test):

- id: '1598486090816'
  alias: Zwave Switch Testing
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.test_zwave_switch
      scene_id: 1
    event_type: zwave.scene_activated
    platform: event
  - event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.test_zwave_switch
      scene_id: 2
  condition: []
  action:
  - device_id: cabd93471497424c8232da0ffbd481c2
    domain: switch
    entity_id: switch.leviton_dzpa1_2bw_plug_in_outlet_switch
    type: toggle
  mode: single

And this is an automation that works well, with an identical switch, and a Wi-Fi smart bulb:

- id: '1598481995706'
  alias: Toggle Hallway Light when the Hallway Light Switch is pressed
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.hallway_light_switch
      scene_id: 1
  - event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.hallway_light_switch
      scene_id: 2
  condition: []
  action:
  - device_id: 01e32988b07b4dcdafcf4b2d677183f4
    domain: light
    entity_id: light.32231163cc50e307643f
    type: toggle
  mode: single

I deleted my post since I realized you might not be using the Central Scene configuration.

If you want to try the Central Scene configuration, here’s a link with someone having the same issue and a post of how it was solved. It’s what I used to set it up and it’s been flawless.

I actually already had that exact config for the Central Scene in my configuration. Also, the issue described on the other thread does not seem to be the same as mine, as pressing the switch does trigger the automation in my case.

I just made a little progress. If I put scene_data: 2 in my trigger, which corresponds to holding the switch, then the automation works flawlessly (if I hold the switch instead of just clicking it).

However, I am still unable to make it work properly with scene_data: 0 (clicking), even though the Developer Tools shows the event is fired with this value.

OK. Now if I put scene_data: 1 (release event), it works perfectly on the button release. It is not perfect, as I need to hold the button for like half a second in order for the release event to be triggered, but it is tolerable. I still can’t get it to work properly with scene_data: 0 (click event).