What is the connection between the Nabu Casa Cloud TTS and the Alexa Media Player from HACS

I would like to use the TTS functionality of Nabu Casa with my Alexa Echo Dot.
But I don’t understand how it is related to the Alexa Media Player from HACS.

Is the Alexa media player needed to use the Nabu Casa cloud TTS?
Or is the media player a different way to use TTS?

And if the Alexa media player is independent form Nabu Casa how do I make Nabu Casa work with my Alexa without using the media player from HACS?

I don’t think there’s any relation between the two.

Alexa Media Player is a custom_component that accesses your Amazon Alexa account as if it were your Alexa app (i.e. it logs in using your Amazon account credentials). It doesn’t need or use the Nabu Casa cloud service.

1 Like

Thanks.
I had a feeling that there is no connection but there are multiple blog posts where they install both together.

Is it possible to use Alexa TTS with the Nabu Casa cloud service alone?

Someone else will have to answer that because I have no experience using Nabu Casa’s cloud service.

The usual reason they are installed together is that the Alexa Cloud integration via Nabu Casa is an easy way for all (or selected) HA entities to be exposed to your Alexa app. And the Alexa Media Player can use your HA entities (not just the ones exposed via the Cloud) in TTS announcements or (just recently) you can use the Alexa actionable notification events in your automations.

You don’t have to use them together. But together they add significant functionality to your HA/Alexa experience. If you already use Alexa then why not use both?

1 Like

If we use the Alexa media player for TTS on the echo devices what is the Nabu Casa cloud TTS used for?

Where are you seeing that?

It is listed on their configuration page.

I have no idea. I don’t remember knowing anything about that service.

As mentioned in other thread, its an alternative tts service, nothing more

1 Like