What is the upgrade check supposed to do?

I want to upgrade to 84 and installed the upgrade config checker.
It runs but doesn’t tell me anything. I tried it with latest default setting, tried with 0.84.1

Docs are not helpful at all. Is it only supposed to say something in the log if there is a problem?

Thanks.

it takes a fair while for it to run and show a log result… you probably didn’t wait long enough. Check the log in the add-on and refresh it

That was it thanks again!!

1 Like

Well it finished but hass.io, map, logbook and history are dead.
I am going to sit back and wait about 30 min and if still dead, reboot via ssh and see what happens…

My history always locks up… but map, logbook all good and hass.io

It looks like the upgrade killed it. Since I can’t get to hass.io I am going to have to wipe it, start over and then do a restore.

But afterwards, is it worth trying again or not? Or wait til the next upgrade and see if it’s less buggy?

So far as I know 0.84.2 is not buggy… you’re making knee-jerk reactions to a problem. Have you looked at the logfile to see why it’s not starting?

The only thing I see is that it can’t connect to anything:

2018-12-14 19:57:14 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.yr] Retrying in 20 minutes: Cannot connect to host aa015h6buqvih86i1.api.met.no:443 ssl:None [Try again]
2018-12-14 19:57:45 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of wink is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-12-14 19:57:47 WARNING (SyncWorker_1) [plexapi] BadRequest (401) unauthorized http://192.168.11.52:32400/; <html><head><script>window.location = window.location.href.match(/(^.+\/)[^\/]*$/)[1] + 'web/index.html';</script><title>Unauthorized</title></head><body><h1>401 Unauthorized</h1></body></html>
2018-12-14 19:57:48 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.remote] Setup of platform harmony is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-12-14 19:57:48 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.remote] Setup of platform harmony is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-12-14 20:11:21 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uvloop/handles/stream.pyx", line 609, in uvloop.loop.UVStream._on_eof
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 171, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 689, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL] unknown protocol (_ssl.c:841)
2018-12-14 20:11:21 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 504, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol.data_received
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 204, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
2018-12-14 20:42:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
  File "uvloop/handles/stream.pyx", line 609, in uvloop.loop.UVStream._on_eof
2018-12-14 20:42:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 504, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol.data_received
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 204, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
2018-12-14 20:57:08 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.updater] Got unexpected response: None

What version are you upgrading from? Have you checked the release notes? Lots of SSL errors… expired certificate?

Hang on typing in other window. Something weird just happened…

Ok something weird is going on:
SSH never worked, but samba was working …then it stopped and started reloading itself again.
I then tried accessing the UI remotely and this time it came up, but showed me that i needed to update again from 84.1 to 2.

Was it trying to install both updates one after the other?
It also has a note that said "new front end available " I have never seen that message before (but again I am new so maybe that is common?)

At the same time, the local ip version was still dead but less than 30 seconds it was working again (probably cache issue I am guessing).

Glad it’s back but what in the heck do you think happened?

New frontend happens from time to time - just load it.
No idea - hassio will back out an update if it isn’t successful. It would generally update to whatever is latest though - it won’t normally update twice…

what do you mean remotely?? how were/are you accessing HA?

Well when I was updating it was saying 84.1 and now it says 84.2 is available.

When I am at home on desktop computer, I access it via local ip. When on phone, tablet or at work, etc, over external address/domain name.

Not sure what is up but it’s getting slow again …hassio probably going to time out

Now it’s fast again…strange. Let me check the network and make sure it’s not the culprit.

It’s easy sometimes to get impatient and you just need to wait a bit… that’s why I said knee-jerk-reaction…

Yea you are right . Not sure what is up …so taking a break and leaving it alone…will post back more later tonight or tomorrow when i know more…
Thanks again…

1 Like

People panic all the time and get themselves and their systems in knots rather than thinking through logically to find out what the problem actually is (and reading logs etc). That usually doesn’t end well.

You right, esp so if you are a former ex smoker :slight_smile:

Pretty sure at least part of my problem last night was my network.
I have to give hass.io port 443 to get around the firewall at work.
Discovered this morning I have 2 devices trying to use the same port.
They both have external access via high port #'s (set in router), but they are greedy and are trying to open up a bunch more via UPnP, which I had shut off.

But they both had upgrades this morning and complained about UPnp being shut off and then showed me what they were trying to do. Yep trying to steal 443 from Hass.io.
I have one fixed and about to do the other. Why they waited till last night to cause trouble- have no idea!!

Hey mate,

How big is your .db file in the config directory? I would personally recommend deleting it and restarting your entire pi. Sometimes with an update if your .db file is massive it breaks things. Deleting the .db file only.deletes sensor and state history so not much of a big deal.

Riley.

I show 3 db’s 2 are very small, but the main one is almost 1 gig
Let me give it a try and see what happens…will backup just in case…thanks.