What should I consider when buying Power Plugs for HA from amazon in EU(German)? Which one worked good for you?

Hello all,

I am new to HA and I am looking into possible power plugs for my installation.

There are a lot of options on Amazon, some with WLAN, MQTT, ZigsBee, etc.

I would ideally like to have power plugs that don’t connect to a cloud, work out of the box (don’t require reflash) and use wifi.

Technically, it would be possible for me to reflash the firmware: however, I would like to avoid it as much as possible to achieve a stable system where I have not tinkered with individual solutions without end.

Can anyone enlighten me on the general things to consider for compatibility with HA? How do I know that a device is HA capable?

For the point of no cloud connection, I would have to aim for ESPHome or Tasmota right? But both would require a (easy) flash?

And can anyone recommend Power Plugs for EU (Germany)? I would like to have some that measure the power consumption.

Would this one work like i want: SONOFF S26R2?

Is there a list of tested devices that work? Preferably not only power plugs but in general

Thank you!

When buying power plugs you should first think about networking. Will you have zigbee network or just your all devices will be on wifi ?
In my experience zigbee is much better than wifi. Wifi devices are connected to the cloud and usually beehive poorly when integrated in ha. For me much better solution is to use zigbee smart plugs with power meter. Those plugs are acting in zigbee network as routers meaning other zigbee devices can connect to it instead off coordinator. You can integrate them easily with zigbee2mqtt addon and use them in ha for energy monitoring.
You can check zigbee2mqtt site for list of supported plugs.

Thank you,

that’s a good question.
First I was thinking about using WIFI. But if Zigbee can provide a lot of different Dives types like and work better with HA, then maybe it is the better solution.

I never bought wifi smart plug as I made mistake with wifi smart switches. From then on I used only zigbee devices.

If i built a simple zigbee network, what would I need to start?
What is must have, and what is optional?
If i understood the discription correctly, i would need a bridge for every manufacturer.
So if i would buy a zigsbee bridge/Gateway from Phillips, i would be bound to devices from them, right?

No. You need zigbee coordinator. It looks like usb stick with an antena for longer range. Try to find one with 26* chip. I bought mine from some guy in Ukraine before all this began. Check zigbee2mqtt site for list of coordinators. I bought mine over e bay.
Then you have to set up mqtt broker in ha, not very difficult. After that set up zigbee2mqtt and you ready to go.
It support many devices and you dont need a hub. That is why is this solution much better than using bunch of hubs.

Nice thank you.

Is it extendable? I’m planning to add Cameras, Temp. Sensors, Light/ LED Strips and maybe more, all possible with this solution? Nevermind, i saw the list of devices, i think its all in…
I want to put it all in HA and connect it to some Voice assistant like Mycroft.

You can add a lot of devices on zigbee network. I don’t know for all of that, but do a step at a time.

There are different type of them, some with USB some with Ethernet.

Do you have any experience with the Ethernet types? Or is it just more simple to use the USB version?
Since my Homeserver is not a Respberry Pi and is in a small room, i would like to have the coordinator somewhere in the middle of my house…

Look, I bought this coordinator

I have a big house made out bricks and reinforcement cement and there is no problem with range in any part of the house. Coordinator is connected to a computer that is not in the middle of the house. I use a debian linux on desktop comp and this is working fine.
Start with this. Buy a coordinator, one zigbee plug and start from there.

You mentioned tasmota and I think its worth noting that most sonoff stuff can be converted to tasmota (there may be some exceptions, I have no idea). Tasmota provides completely local control. All of my wifi tasmota devices have been very reliable.

Flashing the S26 might be out of your comfort zone, but it is doable. Its really unfortunate that tuya-convert isn’t much of an option any more.

I converted 5 or 6 my sonoff wifi switches to tasmota. I had a big expectations from this, but in the end it was just a waist of time. They disconnected very often and I ended with replacing all of them with zigbee smart switches.
Edit:
And there is another big issue with wifi switches. They all need capacitor if you are using led bulbs. Some people don’t know how to install capacitor and in the end it is a fire risk. Without it wifi switch will not work or it will but when you turn off the lights led bulb will still glove.
Zigbee switches are more expensive than wifi ones but they don’t need capacitor and they are working with all sort of led light bulbs, even with a cheap ones. Replacing you light switch with zigbee one is matter of screwing and unscrewing two screws and connecting live and neutral wires to it.

I think i will follow your recommendation and start with one dongle and a plug for the first installation.
on the zigbee2mqtt site, i read about some coordinators can also be used as zigbee routers.

Can you explain to me the difference between the coordinator and a Zigbee router?
Since I’m looking on these terms from an Ethernet point of view. Do I need a Zigbee router to communicate with different networks or protocols?

zigbee network is a mesh network by design. It consist of a coordinator, router and end device. Coordinator is a main device in zigbee network on which all devices can connect to, routers are devices that can manage end devices like coordinator but they have to be connected to the coordinator. End devices are just what the name says ie. motion sensor, humidity sensor, light switch.
Do not confuse this with wifi router or Ethernet. It has nothing to do with it. You will get this when you setup up zigbee2mqtt addon. There you have a map and in map you will see how network is functioning.

so i would use a router to extend the network if i want? like a repeater in wifi?

Totally understand. Only sharing my opinion. Your experience doesn’t sound typical. I have 11 switches and 17 bulbs running tasmota. Every one of them works every time.

yes, something like that. But it’s more than that. As a router can handle end devices the more routers you have the more devices you can put on your network. I think that one router can manage up to 15 or 20 end devices, something like that.

I decided to give both a try.
Found Smart Plugs on Amazon with already Tasmota flashed.
I bought one to try it out.
Also, i will try out zigbee and see what i like more

I did a quick google image search and found this… Hope it helps:

So the term “router” is different in the zigbee world than in the wifi world.

Also, since zigbee (and z-wave, FWIW) is designed as a mesh network, in theory the range should become a non-issue, since the range can be extended with strategic placements of zigbee router devices (most bulbs or plug or in-wall switches).

For example a coordinator in the basement, and then zigbee router devices on each floor in or near the stairwell.

EDIT: formatting and reference link

You can use shelly smart plugs, there is a cloud connection but you can also just disabled it.
There is also good integration in HA with shelly.

or

The smaller one has a smaller supported output wattage.