What's the best way to upgrade from hassbian 5.4 to 5.5?

So according to the blog it’s recommended that you make a backup of your configuration files and restore them on a fresh install. Upgrading an existing installation isn’t recommended.

Do i really have to backup/ install/ restore all my MQTT broker, Influxdb database, Grafana, Zwave, etc etc.

Once you have hassbian installed, I don’t see the point in doing it again. Just update HA with the instructions given in common procedures, and regular sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade.

I installed hassbian this time last year and its still running on the same sd card.

Hi!

Maybe I’m intruding here because of a misunderstanding…
According to https://home-assistant.io/blog/2017/10/06/deprecating-python-3.4-support/ it is time to upgrade to, I think, 1.31 currently.

Kind regards,
Johan

yes that’s right. So that means i/ we have to start all over?

The blog means you have to upgrade Python to at least 3.5 by early next year.

There are several ways to do this.

1. You can upgrade Python in your existing operating system.
  2. You can upgrade your operating system, which also includes upgrading Python. On a pi this involves going from Jessie to Stretch.
  3. You can get a new version of hassbian (which includes the new operating system and Python).

If you already have a working version of hassbian, option 3 is not the way to go. As @kurniawan77 says, it will involve reinstalling all the optional extras, which is hard work.

I went down the option 2 route, and it was successful. You do have to recreate the virtual environment, but that is a relatively painless process.

You can just update Python 3.5 on to Jessie, but since Jessie is slowly going away it seems sensible to update that now as well.

Do you have some guidance for option 2? including recreating the virtual environment please?

This whole thread was on the topic, This was my description on how to create the virtual environment

although I think you actually have to start from step 2.

This blog post is all about the upgrade to stretch. The section How to get Raspian Stretch has the instructions.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

Obviously, make sure you do a full backup before you start :grinning:

1 Like