Which notification platform do you suggest?

Can you please show me how you attach images for notifications? Just set up ejabberd and cant figure out how to attach with home assistant.

Add me to your roster: [email protected]

I’ll tell u how :wink:

It’s back in the play store now, i think it was an abandoned projects for a while. However, it is no longer free after trial. I’ve moved to private xmpp, but trying out pushover.

I’m using Telegram as notification service which really works great for me :slight_smile:

I currently use a combination of PushBullet and Telegram. I have just returned from a holiday in Bali (I live in Australia) and happened to notice that the Pushbullet notifications came through fine (when connected to wifi as I didn’t have global roaming on) over there however the Telegram ones did not (they all came flooding through when I landed back in Aus.). Rather strange… wondering if Telegram is blocked by their Government or something

Ariela on Android. Works great!

Another vote for Telegram here. I like that you can have actionable notifications. I was using PushBullet before, and I couldn’t get that functionality. I just wish that the action buttons would appear on the notification. You unfortunately have to open the Telegram app to see the buttons.

“Authorities also blocked access to some channels on encrypted messaging service Telegram last year, saying it had several forums that were “full of radical and terrorist propaganda”.

Off to Bali next week myself, can’t wait. I’ll keep my Pushbullet notifications running then :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Indonesian, frequently to Bali also, and I need to clarify that Telegram is not blocked in our country. I’m using Telegram also for my push notification, and it works wonderful all the time, using both carrier data or any wifi in the area. This is also to confirm @kanga_who who will be heading to the island of God. Enjoy your holiday.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Not sure why mine didn’t come through then, and I used many different wifi networks while over there (airport, hotel, pubs, restaurants etc.). As I mentioned, I had a flood of late messages coming through (a week’s worth) as soon as I landed back in Australia.

Hmm… Could it be you’re on the island on July 2017? If yes, than it could be on the days when govt blocked telegram access for several days. However since August 2017, telegram is working fine again. Source https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-security-apps-idUSKBN1AH40K

no, this was only last month

Another vote for Ariela.

I just made my first actionable notification today and it works great!

Home Assistant Companion for iOS (and Android soon). I might be a little biased though…

1 Like

Hi, just a head up for your coming to Bali. Currently several instant messaging system are blocked in Indonesia due to recent violence protest upon election result. Sadly, part of Telegram service is also blocked. You can still use chat as usual, but you can’t access web.telegram.org and api.telegram.org which is used by telegram component. So you will need to either use VPN or another notification system. This affects all of network carrier here and wifi providers. Not sure how long this partial blockage will last,

I just wrote up a post about how to use Slack for notifications and why I moved to that platform. I previously used pushbullet and telegram.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

I checked out the repo of mqttwarn on github - click here.

But there are no examples of HA, Slack, Pushbullet, Pushover but there are examples of Alexa, Hiveeyes & Homie but I am not familiar with these platforms.

Please advise if there is another URL where HA specific examples are posted or if you do not mind please share how you got mqttwarn working with HA.

Thanks,

PS: This thread is from 2017 and possible that focus of mqttwarn may have changed, feel free to ignore this message if that is the case.

I don’t use HA, I have mqttwarn integrated with openHAB, but the principle is the same. You define a series of notification MQTT topics, e.g. notification/info, notification/warn, notification/alarm etc, you pick what granularity you need.

Then in HA/OH you use the MQTT provider for your platform to publish messages to these topics whenever you want to notify something/someone. E.g. I have an OH rule that publishes a message to notification/info when my house alarm is armed or disarmed, and another one that publishes a message to notification/alarm if the alarm is tripped.

Then you setup mqttwarn to monitor you notification/xxx topics and configure which services you wish to be notified for each notification type. E.g. for /info I might just log the message to a Slack channel and log file, for /warn I might do the same as /info but also push a mid-priority Pushover notification to my phone, and for /alarm I also send high priority messages to both mine and my wifes phone via Pushover.

How/what and who you decide to notify is entirely decoupled from your automation platform. HA/OH just publishes the messages to the MQTT topics and mqttwarn handles all the routing and delivery of those messages to the endpoints.

Hope that help.

1 Like

Ben, thanks for the detailed explanation…appreciate it and I am sure it will also help other folks who are just getting started with home automation projects.

Meanwhile, I got the push notification working on HA using SimplePush but noticed that most apps capable of providing notifications (including SimplePush) are also a huge drain on phone battery.

Did you encounter this problem or found a notification service that is more friendly on phone’s battery life?

Nope - I use Pushover for most of my notifications and haven’t noticed any issue with battery drain (been using it for a number of years).

But that is the beauty of mqttwarn - if you find a notification service doesn’t work they way you want or has problems, you can switch to something else with a few lines of mqttwarn config - without touching your automation system.