Whole house energy monitoring

Hi everyone,

Looking for the best solutions for whole home energy monitoring. We live in a typical US “mc mansion” that is embarrassing as hell due to it’s excess for a Canadian/Swiss family that’s been relocated. But it is what it is…

The house has twin 200A service feeds. It also has a generator feeding a 150A ATS panel for when power goes down.

So I’d like to monitor each of the 200A service feeds as well as the 150A ATS panel separately so I get an idea of the loads on the generator when its online. That should also allow me to automate based on it being online.

I also have a couple larger loads I’d like to monitor specifically. A 50A sub panel feed to the pool pump house is one. Also two heat pumps to monitor as well.

So I guess that’s 6 large loads to monitor.

The panels are in a place where I do have Ethernet access so ideally whatever monitoring gear would be connected that way.

I’m prepared to get an electrician in to do this as those breakers and amperage loads are bigger then I like to deal with. No problem swapping out a outlet or switch; or even replacing a pool pump, etc, but this would not be a full DIY.

Thanks in advance.

https://openenergymonitor.org/ I’ve only skimmed it but it supports mqtt so could be easily integrated into HA.

I’ve been piecing a system together based on this guys work. video, github. My panel is 3-phase so I’m using the 3-meter measuring system. Here’s what I’ve got so far. Working on calibrating now.

1 Like