Home Assistant Community

Wifi Setup Help!

I have Homeassistant installed on a external hard drive and a Pi 3 Model B V1.2 booting off of the hard drive. When I try to start it up though it keeps looking for ethernet. I configured a file named “my-network” inside of CONFIG/network and that didn’t fix it. It still is looking for ethernet. Any ideas? I am stuck!

0 Likes

Note- I am not an expert, and my reply is likely to be wrong.
How did you install HomeAssistant? Are you using an image file, or installed on Raspian?
How do you know it’s looking for Ethernet? Is there an error message or log message?

I am most puzzled by your file “my-network” and the folder “CONFIG/network”. Where are you seeing these instructions?

0 Likes

Hi - I was installing via these instructions: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

See the “wifi” section.

The way I know it is looking for Ethernet is bc when it boots is says something like booting… “ethernet not found”

0 Likes

So, you installed from an image file.
I never used step three since my “mission critical” devices are all on Ethernet.
So, show us the WiFi configuration text file.
Also, have you ever had this Pi on WiFi using Raspian, or did you go straight to Hassio?

0 Likes

I just went straight to Hassio.

I used this config, but replaced my SSID and PW.

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=MY_SSID

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=MY_WLAN_SECRET_KEY

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

0 Likes

Your config looks right. Does the boot stop when it errors on Ethernet or can you see the IP on the router?

0 Likes