Window open, climate off

Instead of alerting everyone with the issue, wouldn’t it be appropriate to change your automation and use the template?
So far it has no downside and the next will download a new version directly.
Just proposing, this remain your blueprint at the end, you decide

I tried to explain to you that it is not possible as you have to create a “helper” before you could be able to use this blueprint! It makes things more complex and that is an issue! If I am wrong please provide me a working code that I can test. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hallo zusammen,
vielen Dank für die Automatisierung. Funktioniert bei mir soweit ganz gut, aber wenn das Fenster geschlossen wird, geht das Thermostat nicht mehr auf den Heizplan des Thermostat. Es wird einfach nur Heizen eingestellt. Wie kann ich die Programierung anpassen das es nach dem Schließen des Fensters wieder auf den Heizplan schaltet? Als Thermostat nutze ich Tado und die Fenstersensoren habe ich von Aqara. Leider habe ich hier nichts passendes in den Dokus gefunden.
Beste Grüße
Averall

Hello, everyone,
thank you very much for this blueprint. Works pretty well for me so far. But when the window is closed, the thermostat no longer goes on the heating schedule. Heating is simply set. How can I adjust the programming so that it switches back to the heating plan after closing the window? Tado Thermostat and Aqara window sensors. Unfortunately I didn’t find a solution in the documentaries here.

Best regards
Averall

1 Like

Hello - thanks for another corner case. It is a Tado specific behavior - so let us see how we can get it working. Please share with us the hvac_modes: of your climate entity. Go to developer tools (states) and search for your entity and give us a copy of the attributes. If there is something like Return to tado automatic control we are almost there.

1 Like

Hi and thx for your Support,
Here is the desired status when the window is closed:

1. Schedule:

Best regards
Averall

Great! So the desired state is auto after closing the window? I think we have to also set the climate.set_hvac_mode as described here Climate - Home Assistant

The bad news is that I cannot do the modification within this blueprint because it would/could break all the existing users automations.

Try to add manually my Blueprint from Github and see if it works: https://github.com/SmartLiving-Rocks/Blueprint/blob/12724f32c5da6ee8086cc7a6fdf3c5616cdb54e3/tado

I have added the following lines that hopefully do the trick:

# Only for Tado Users who want to use the Tado Heatplan "auto"
- service: climate.set_hvac_mode
  target:
    entity_id: !input 'climate_target'
  data:
    hvac_mode: auto
1 Like

Hello again,
I just adjusted it as you wrote and it works fine. :ok_hand: :+1:
Thanks very much
Averall

Fantastic! Great that I could help.

1 Like

Have you ever managed to get it working? I am asking because we had a simmilar case with Tado yesterday. We used the service climate.set_hvac_mode instead of climate.turn_on. Your thermostat shows the same hvac_modes: as mentioned in your post:

hvac_modes:
  - auto
  - heat
  - 'off'

You could also try this blueprint and tell us if it also works for you and your HM-CC-RT-DN Thermostats. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Thank you for the template for Tado, it works wonderfully!

What do I have to do if I want to switch off or switch on all rooms at once? One reason Heating period ended

If it should be automatic (outside temperature, date, etc.) with an automation. For manual activation, I recommend a script that deactivates all climat entities. In your case (Tado) via the service climate.set_hvac_mode

This blueprint only works if the clumat entity is not turned off.

1 Like

@ SmartLiving.Rocks

Thank you for your answer. It should be switched off manually
How do I do this with the script on/off?

One script for on. Second script for off.

1 Like

Hi @SmartLiving.Rocks I have adapted parts of your Blueprint to work with HomematicIP here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/homematic-reduce-room-temperature-when-a-window-or-door-is-opened/341053

This uses a service call homematic.set_device_value to set the WINDOW_STATE parameter directly, so it emulates the operation of HomematicIP door/window sensor.

It’s been in use for several months now, and it works fine.

@ SmartLiving.Rocks

Ok, I don’t know how yet but I’ll find something.

Hello! Nice, I was assuming that the Homematic climate devices are different. I did not know that homematic has its own service calls. But I think there is still a difference in 1. Homematic and 2. HomematicIP, right? Do you know the differneces? I am asking if your blueprint can handle all Homematic users (so that I can inform them in my initial post and make a link to your post).

It is really fascinating to me that an easy function can have so much corner cases even in Home Assistant. At the same time it is a proof that a single “smarthome” company will never be capable of managing all the functions a smarthome end-user wants to use!

1 Like

Hi @SmartLiving.Rocks. I just installed this blueprint for my Tado-based home. After creating a few template binary sesnors for the rooms with more than one window, creating the automations was easy and I was done inside of ten minutes. After initial testing, I can see it works perfectly. Thank you for all of your hard work and continued effort in this.

If you were to consider a https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ or similar, I’d gladly contribute!

I’m afraid that all my Homematic devices are IP types, so I can’t say for definite that it won’t work. However, I think it’s quite likley that it will, as the non-IP TRVs and thermostats do have the same functionality to use window sensors to control them.
Totally agree with your comment, no one manufacturer can cover every use case, which is why I love Home Assistant. Being able to link the sensors from my alarm system to control the heating system is a perfect example of this.

Alright, thanks! So all HomematicIP users can visit your link in this post. Very cool! Thanks

1 Like

:relaxed: Wow thank you very much! That is really great to hear/ read! Actually it was not so much work and it is more scientific experiment. That is one of the functions the market promised at the beginning of the smart home journey. But it was actually really complicated (tried it with fibaro HomeCenter2) and other Z-Wave controllers. Even a company like tado that only concentrates on heating is not able to handle it. Interesting, isn’t it.

No, I do not have a buymeacoffee account. I assume that they keep a little percentage. You can use my PayPal account and send money using friends.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

1 Like