“172.16.0.0/12”,
“192.168.0.0/16”
]
}

If doesn’t work activate features windows and change protocol samba to 40 bits
Enter in “new Connection”
\hassio\

2 Likes

Also had issues connecting on Windows 10 but What worked for me was 3 different ways after setting up and starting the Samba addon:

1. Type the IP-address of your RPI in the explorer search field i.e. “\\192.168.0.100”
    This gave access to all 4 folders that I have enabled but you´d have to write the address every time.

2. Go to My computer and then choose “Map network drive” select what volume you want it to be called and
    In the folder-option write your RPI IP and end with the folder you want to access, i.e. \\192.168.0.100\config
    Finally add option for using different credentials.

3. Same as 2 but you right-click when in My computer and add a network location instead.

My Hassio Samba settings are as follows:

{
  "workgroup": "HASSIO_HOME",
  "name": "hassio",
  "guest": false,
  "map": {
    "config": true,
    "addons": true,
    "ssl": false,
    "share": true,
    "backup": true
  },
  "username": "************",
  "password": "*************",
  "interface": "eth0",
  "allow_hosts": [
    "10.0.0.0/8",
    "172.16.0.0/12",
    "192.168.0.0/32"
  ]
} 

Update (2019-08-16). Tried this again today and the samba share settings had been updated. My new settings are as follows:

{
  "workgroup": "HASSIO_HOME",
  "username": "************",
  "password": "************",
  "interface": "wlan0",
  "allow_hosts": [
    "192.168.0.0/16",
    "10.0.0.0/8",
    "172.16.0.0/12"
  ]
}

So I had to change the interface from eth0 to wlan0 because I am connected via wifi with HA otherwise the steps above worked. A tip is to first try step 1) and make sure you get access to the folders and then setup up one or more permanent network drives to the different folders.

4 Likes

For hassio.local:8123 access, I did following:
1- FIrefox browser :>click Address Bar (left side on round i ). Hassio.local (connection is Not secure).
In More information under connection Details go to permission tabs and Allow where Block.
Hassio.local:8123 is now working.
2- For Samba share I followed this link and did 1,2,3 on my windows 10 PC Link-https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf

Hope this helps.

Thank you that worked!

I am back to this issue ones more. Couldn’t get HassOS (0.82.1)/Windows 10 (latest update) – Samba network working.

The issue started some time back where I could not access Hassio using browser and see my files using Samba. Gave up and since then Samba has been updated and Windows 10 has been updated. I used the the link above, and got access to Hassio through browser, finally.

Still can’t get Samba to work, Hassio does not show up in my network overview.

Please advise if you have solved issue like this(?)

Here is my Samba log:

Log

[INFO] Read hostname: hassio Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED No builtin backend found, trying to load plugin tdbsam_open: Converting version 0.0 database to version 4.0. tdbsam_convert_backup: updated /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb file. tdb(/var/lib/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/lib/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb: No such file or directory tdb(/var/lib/samba/account_policy.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/lib/samba/account_policy.tdb: No such file or directory account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 1 (min password length), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 2 (password history), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 3 (user must logon to change password), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 4 (maximum password age), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 5 (minimum password age), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 6 (lockout duration), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 7 (reset count minutes), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 8 (bad lockout attempt), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 9 (disconnect time), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32_t failed for type 10 (refuse machine password change), returning 0 Added user Admin_Tom. nmbd version 4.8.4 started. Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2018 Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED added interface eth0 ip=192.168.0.18 bcast=192.168.0.255 netmask=255.255.255.0 making subnet name:192.168.0.18 Broadcast address:192.168.0.255 Subnet mask:255.255.255.0 making subnet name:UNICAST_SUBNET Broadcast address:0.0.0.0 Subnet mask:0.0.0.0 making subnet name:REMOTE_BROADCAST_SUBNET Broadcast address:0.0.0.0 Subnet mask:0.0.0.0 load_lmhosts_file: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/samba/lmhosts. Error was No such file or directory daemon_ready: STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections smbd version 4.8.4 started. Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2018 Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED Processing section "[config]" Processing section "[addons]" Processing section "[ssl]" Processing section "[share]" Processing section "[backup]" added interface eth0 ip=192.168.0.18 bcast=192.168.0.255 netmask=255.255.255.0 INFO: Profiling support unavailable in this build. No builtin backend found, trying to load plugin tdb(/var/lib/samba/registry.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/lib/samba/registry.tdb: No such file or directory daemon_ready: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections waiting for connections check_for_master_browser_fail: Forcing election on workgroup WORKGROUP subnet 192.168.0.18 send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 run_elections: >>> Won election for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 <<< become_local_master_browser: Starting to become a master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 ***** Samba name server HASSIO is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.18 *****

SambError

My problem has gone even further then just Samba.
no-ssh-samba-or-access-via-hassio-local-8123

I to want a solution!

I followed this Article here:

And added the min protocol = SMB2 option.
To my smb.conf that helped me out on Win10. I added it right below the [gloabl] marker.

I have a user homeassistant that runs my python virtual environemnt and this is the only one allowed on that share.

[homeassistant]
path = /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant
valid users = homeassistant
read only = no

So I have to login with the homeassistant user credentials. I activated the tick, to save these credentials so Windows remembers them, even on re-boot.
Was pretty straight forward. I did not change anything on my Windows machines. It works just fine on Win7 and 10 1803

I should mention, that I am on a stock Debian 9 and installed samba via apt, as any other package. So the config might be slightly different on your devices. So I also commented all the lines referring to printers, becuase I don’t need them for HA.

I prefer to log in and not have any guest access or global read/write access. Don’t know if this adds security but at least it feels more secure.

1 Like

If I type \hassio\config in explorer I get there but otherwise I see nothing in Networks mosty of the time then occasionally it shows up. Sometimes I get no access, just a variety of strange things.

1 Like

cám ơn bạn. tôi thành công :slight_smile:

Asking as a total N00b, using a RPI3/HassOS.

Can I use the “How to configure Samba to SMBv2…” this when using the addon "Samba share"?

BOOM!! after about 6 hours of stress this worked. I’ve been trying the same config settings but no luck. the issue was not using map network drive.

If I use your configuration I receive this in log

19-01-23 09:11:29 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.addons.validate] Unknown options map

My Samba works sometimes and sometimes not, I don’t know how to replicate when is working and when is not … seems to me totally random

I noticed now that I get that as well. This also applies for guest: and name:. I removed the map, guest and name options and the setup still works. They are no longer valid or never where valid options according to the github add-on specification so that the reason for the warning, but having the options should not cause the samba share to not work, only that you wont be able to select which folders to map. Configuration now looks like this:

{
“workgroup”: “HASSIO_HOME”,
“username”: “",
“password”: "
***”,
“interface”: “wlan0”,
“allow_hosts”: [
“10.0.0.0/8”,
“172.16.0.0/12”,
“192.168.0.0/16”
]
}

If your RPI is connected via WiFi, try to change "interface:" from "eth0" to "wlan0".

1 Like

Well, It’s not ideal, but this workes for me for the time being:

Hi,
Looking at your configuration, it assumes you connect through ethernet cable. Could it by any chance be that you are connecting through wifi?

I followed these instructions:

this worked completely for me and I was able to connect at the first attempt. I see you are not using a user and a password. Have you given that a try to see if that helps? My windows 10 gives me a popup to enter the mapping details after connecting \IP_ADDRESS and you can store the user/password.

What finally solved my Windows 10/Samba connection problem, deselect 128 bit … and select 40- 56 bit…:

2 Likes

Weird. 128 is working for me.

Same here.

Try setting password and user.
Your samba config looks different from mine though…

{
“workgroup”: “WORKGROUP”,
“username”: “user”,
“password”: “password”,
“interface”: “eth0”,
“allow_hosts”: [
“10.0.0.0/8”,
“172.16.0.0/12”,
“192.168.0.0/16”
]
}